Skip navigation

Rare RHD 1973 B1 Passat

Back to the top
As much as I love mk1 Golf's, I very much have a soft spot for B1 passats, and I have just found this very early (1973 - first year of production) 3dr coupe in RHD on ebay. It looks very tired and in need of a lot of love but also quite rust free from what I would expect!

I would love nothing more than to buy this and return it to its former glory, but lack of funds, space and time means that ill obviously never own it :(Does anyone else share the same B1 love? :wub: or is it just me? :lol:

'83 1.3 Golf Driver GT - Project thread
Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Always liked the Coupe's remember walking to School past a house which had one of these and a 75 Mk1 Golf - and it was in 1975!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-PASSAT-1973-RED-/321690505870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae63f928e

Wonder where you would get the parts from though?

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
looks saveable, glass may be hard to find

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Yeah the glass and dash would be hard to come across amongst other potentially damaged or missing parts  :( there can't be many of these left in the UK though, I know of one 1974 coupe in white being restored currently

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Yeah, luv the b1 Passat...not many left

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
I have a 77 Inari silver B1 GLS, WITH 25 thousand on the clock.

Although the the imterior is mint, the panels have suffered a bit from rust.

As mentioned, getting parts are nigh on impossible. I've owned the cars for nearly 3 years now and the resto has stopped cause I can't get a now front o/s wing.

biggest problem I have is the trailing arms on the chasis at the rear are badly corroded, so much so that there isn't enough left for me to get them replicated!!!

ill just need to be patient and I'm sure it'll get completed.

jim

Back to the top
That one on ebay looks like a can of worms to me, few weels back he was wanting £1500 for it rock bottom.

I imagine sourcing parts is like sourcing genuine swallowtail parts though :'(

Back to the top

Back to the top

leembo said

I have a 77 Inari silver B1 GLS, WITH 25 thousand on the clock.

Although the the imterior is mint, the panels have suffered a bit from rust.

As mentioned, getting parts are nigh on impossible. I've owned the cars for nearly 3 years now and the resto has stopped cause I can't get a now front o/s wing.

biggest problem I have is the trailing arms on the chasis at the rear are badly corroded, so much so that there isn't enough left for me to get them replicated!!!

ill just need to be patient and I'm sure it'll get completed.

jim

Have you got any pictures? That sounds very cool  :wub:

Shame about the rust/ difficulty sourcing parts though  :(

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Yes I think if it was in better nick I would have considered it more. I have however found someone selling a 1980 5 door that I would love to own but he is wanting a fair bit more and I can't justify owning two mk1 VW's  :(

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
IMG_1656.JPG IMG_1657.jpg IMG_1658.JPG IMG_1659.JPG IMG_1818.jpg IMG_1981.JPG

I have started restoring it. I have done the near side, with a nos genuine vw wing, sill and rear arch repair, but as you can see from the last picture, the rust at the trailing arm at the chassis has stumped me.

I need to do the same to the off side plus a front valance, which I have a genuine nos one of. The only parts I need to be able to finish it is a genuine o/s front wing and to find somebody with the skills to manufacture me the 2 trailing arms. The difficulty I have with this, is that once the existing one is removed, there is very little of it left to allow accurate sizes/angles etc to be taken.

Cheers

Jim

Back to the top
thats lovely  :wub:  are you a member for the facebook page for b1 passat's? because ive seen people selling to saying where they can get hold of wings etc.

id love to see more if youve got a project thread anywhere? :)

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Hi mazza, thanks for that.

I didnt know know about the facebook page, now started checking it out.

this topic has got me thinking about my passat, and I am going to continue the resto next week, as it's been on hold for nearly a year now.

but my mk1 Jetta is coming back from the spray painter's so I'm going to fill the space the Jetta leaves with the passat 😄😄

i'll start a project thread in the next few weeks.

jim

Back to the top
Yes, there are some people that really know their b1 passats on there.

Post a link up when you get it started, ill look forward to watching it closely  :thumbs:

Cheers,
Matt

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Like b1s myself,  parts can be tricky but definately are out there with a lot of hunting and patience tbh,  low values make them a labour of love sadly,,  the dasher forum is a great spot for parts hunting at time,  or theres a few groups on f/b that are worthwhile joining 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.