Skip navigation

Mfa 1981 1.6 GTi?

Back to the top
I had an dispute with a friend other day about MFA fitted to early GTI models. I was told years ago by a old fella in the know that only the later 1.8 models from 1982 had MFA as it was a new technology.

The car in question is a 1981 1.6 W reg GTI without mfa. Friend was telling me its got the wrong speedo fitted and its missing the mfa stalk aswell. Im no expert so need clarification before the speedo is replaced

Thanx all

s-l1600.jpg

Back to the top
Looking at the uk brochures it seems 1980 - 1982 don't have the MFA and 1983 onwards they fitted the MFA to the GLi.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=galleries&type=misc&id=cabriolets

With the car in question it's worth looking to see if any of the sensors are fitted like the MPG vacuum hoses and if it's got the larger plug in type gearbox reversing switch?

Im only guessing……

edit… just had another look at the brochures and it seems the 1.6 engine is without MFA and 1.8 engine is with the MFA…

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Just to confirm what mark1gls has stated no 1.6 GTi had MFA, but they did have the oil temperature gauge in the centre console as yours does. This was not present in the 1.8 as the oil temperature is indicated in the MFA display.

Back to the top
Ah brilliant you guys confirmed what I was told and believed. My friend who said it was incorrect and had the wrong speedo is wrong as per usual hehe.

I will upload some more pictures thursday to see if everything is correct

Thanx Shane
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.