Skip navigation

help with 1978 golf is it a gti?

Back to the top
sorry if this is in the wrong section i thought this would be the best place to ask

i have a mk1 1978 golf gti and as it has no logbook i dont no if its a gti :( i called the dvla and they confirmed the colour and that it is a golf and the year is 1978 but no model

most of the parts are missing ,clocks and interior so its hard to tell,ive looked through the internet for days its driving me mad so thought id ask the experts if there is a way to find out,the chassis number begins in 178 so i no it is 1978 but thats it

any comments or help will be greatly appreciated cheers

Back to the top
Does it have a reg plate no? could check that online

Back to the top
yes mate ive tried hpi check the car doesnt exist and like i said dvla just call it a golf as it hasnt been taxed since the reg changeover in the 80's

Back to the top
can you find the build sticker in the boot?

Back to the top

Amit said

can you find the build sticker in the boot?

no sticker its pretty rotten mate

Back to the top
What motor is currently installed?

I guess you could look underneath for an electric fuel pump, but even then that is no guarantee as it could of been retro fitted

Back to the top
if it is, and your going back stock, its gunna cost you alot of money.

is the178 all you can get off the vin?

Back to the top

Brad. said

if it is, and your going back stock, its gunna cost you alot of money.

is the178 all you can get off the vin?

thats the full number 178 3359910

Back to the top
What about the brackets that hold the airbox/ metering head on the front inner wing lhs.

Back to the top
Anti roll bar brackets?

Back to the top
Just HPI'd the car. Shows as 1588cc which would suggest its a GTI.
Was a total loss in 1989.

'79 GL - Jack's back!

Back to the top

Flan said

Just HPI'd the car. Shows as 1588cc which would suggest its a GTI. Was a total loss in 1989.

thanks alot mate i hpi'd came back as unreconised and i said to dvla has it been writen off she said no and i wouldnt have a problem getting a logbook
so what does the total loss part mean?

Back to the top
Pm me your email and I'll send it to you. At the time it would have meant an uneconomical repair and insurance paid out on it. Depends how bad the damage was and where?

'79 GL - Jack's back!

Back to the top
Hi mate, if the cars a 78 and right hand drive it won't be a gti as far as I'm aware the gti wasn't released until August 79.
Hope this helps.
Cheer
Andrew

Back to the top
Shows on HPI as previously registered overseas. Would explain the lack of info from DVLA.

'79 GL - Jack's back!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.