Skip navigation

What car for 500 quid?

Back to the top
So im moving jobs which means getting rid of the company car so I need a cheap car to pootle to and from work in. Im thinking of spending 500-1000 on a car and to get it roadworthy but what shall I get?

Been looking at Golfs naturally and trying to find a manual vr6 or something with a 1.8t.

When I can afford something better I was thinking of using the engine in the mk1 and bresking the rest of the cat but thst isnt essential in consideration og what I buy.

What can anyone suggest? It just has to be reliable and comfortable.

Cheers
Dunc

Back to the top
I've had a MK3 VR6 before and loved it. A tad juicy obviously but cracking car, great sound and it was uber reliable. A decent engine to take out at a later stage too.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Mk3's are cheap

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
Bog standard 2l gti mk4 you'll get a really nice low miler  for under a grand. Not sure about transferring the engine though.

Back to the top

ant5 said

Mk3's are cheap

+1. I would consider a MK3 at that sort of money

Back to the top
Think about a Vento GL. Same spec as a mk3 GTi but cheaper to buy and insure. The mk4 2.0L are a bit on the thirsty side. As a daily the mk3 options will be cheaper to run.

Back to the top
Yeah thinking Mk3. Never used to like them but I'm started to. They're meant to be really nice drivers cars but the gti engine is gutless.

Back to the top
I'm smoking around in a mk3 cab cost £500,not the quickest but cheap to fix and saves the caddy from winter. ;)  

Back to the top
Get a mk3 diesel…. One on flea bay…. and it's cheap….

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Ive been driving a volvo v40 d4 for a year and the lag does my head in despite it being fast. Prefer to drive something more revvy. Got a few vr6s as options atm. Think it might be one of them or an a3 1.8t. Might change my mind though.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.