Skip navigation

Newbie looking for advice please?

Back to the top

Advice please

Hello everyone, excuse me if I make a few mistakes but I`m new to this forum. I`m after some advice please? I`ve been offered a very nice looking Mk1 GTI but it has had a few mods. Is it going to decrease it`s value or add to it? Also, rear seats have been removed…….why??? The car seems to have a high spec which I`ll "copy and paste" from an email I received about the car.

Excuse me but if I buy it I`ll be on here a lot asking stupid questions as I`m very new to hot hatch motoring.

This is the copied email I got about the car, please advise??? Thanks.

I was with my friend in 2002 when he bought the car at a VW show in the UK, this was in 2002 at GTi International. In his ownership the car underwent extensive works and expense. The owner prior to him had fitted a modern VW polo dash and interior to the car, he removed this and put the car back to standard with some period recaro seats and had the back professionally carpeted. In addition he had the popular 1.8 twin cam 16v KR conversion carried out with shrick cams, gas flowed head etc.The engine had a full rebuild with 1.9 pistons. There is a full stainless system which is discreet but sounds appropriate for the 160-190bhp that the engine produces. There was also a full gearbox recon. The car also has uprated brakes and coil over suspension and an eibach ARB There is an engineer's report for the engine conversion and the works have been declared on the insurance. The car has also been fully resprayed, and waxoiled. There is no rust. Anything the car has needed it got.
The car comes with a set of genuine BBS Split Rim alloys with Yokohama tyres. There is also a set of genuine G60 Steels (new) with Toyo Proxies. The car has always been garaged and washed before putting away.

Back to the top
Yeah, these are my concerns. I do like originality and obviously this one is far from it. It is just the fact it looks in good nick and should be pretty nippy. I don`t want to buy it if the mods would put people off buying it if I decided to sell….after all, it`s asking price is pretty expensive  O_o

Back to the top
I think the thing that would put people off buying the car, would be the polo dashboard. However seeing as this has been put back to normal, and assuming the rest of the car is straight, most of the mods listed seem nothing out of the ordinary.
Have a look at some of the build topics on the forum and see what other people are doing to their cars.
You will be able to put the rear seats back in without too much hassle as ebay has them listed fairly regularly.
You will always get people in the "I won't buy it unles its unmodified" camp, but then equally you'll also have people in the other camp who quite like the mods.
Ultimately price wise, I always think it's a personal choice, if you've had a good look around at other mk1s and think it's worth the money, then go for it. If not negotiate or walk away.

Good luck either way, just be happy with the choice you make, regardless of what anyone else says  :thumbs:
 :cool:

Back to the top
Thanks for the advice Mike. It does look pretty mint in the pictures I`ve got, and straight. Looks like it has a factory metal sunroof? Price wise, I`ve seen Mk1`s for sale for as little as 3-4k but also seen them up there at 10+k …… With the details I`ve listed, and if it is straight, clean and rust free, what sort of value would you think it would be worth? I know its difficult without seeing it so only a guesstimate?? I don`t want to pay over the odds for something. Thanks  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Oooooo, (licks finger and holds up to the wind)

It's so hard to say as it's such a personal choice. From my point of view I'd say maybe 4K if it's as described and it has no rot underneath, 5K if it's really really good, but I'm sure everyone has their opinion on it and I'd guarentee that everyone would come up with a different price.
But as you've said this is an opinion based on a description, not a viewing.

The only advice I could really give is have a good look around at what you can get for the money you want to pay, and that will give you a good yard stick as to if they're asking the right money for it.

I hope that helps?
Mike.

Back to the top

mike.d1979 said

Oooooo, (licks finger and holds up to the wind)

It's so hard to say as it's such a personal choice. From my point of view I'd say maybe 4K if it's as described and it has no rot underneath, 5K if it's really really good, but I'm sure everyone has their opinion on it and I'd guarentee that everyone would come up with a different price.
But as you've said this is an opinion based on a description, not a viewing.

The only advice I could really give is have a good look around at what you can get for the money you want to pay, and that will give you a good yard stick as to if they're asking the right money for it.

I hope that helps?
Mike.

It has Mike, thanks. I`ve been thinking long and hard about this car and I think I`m going to pass on it? I`m far from an expert on these cars but I was expecting around the 4k mark myself….it`s actually 6k. I think original is best for me. I`m in no rush to buy anything. Thanks again, also to everyone else for their advice…cheers, Steve.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.