Skip navigation

Where is my Temp Sensor?

Back to the top
Hello All.

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere but I have spent hours looking and can't find anything to help me!! I have a 1990 GTI Cab (1.8) DX engine code I think. My Temp gauge is not working (it used to just go straight to hot & not doesn't work at all) & I have brought a new one from VW which is flat (no pin) has a O ring & clip fitting, but I can't find where this goes on my car. There is a sensor on the front of the block (Near the spark plugs)  with a thread fitting and a Pin, according to VW this is a coolant timing sensor? Their pictures show the coolant temp sensor on the side of the block, but there is no sensor in there on my car! Just the coolant pipes that go into the dash for the heating.

Can anyone help me please! I'm losing the plot looking for this bloody thing!:ocf_emoticons__BangHead::ocf_emoticons__BangHead:I would seriously appreciate any help!

Back to the top
Hi mate
Sorry I'm clueless myself where it is but I put the question coolant temp sensor position in the google search on top off forum and loads of info came up there?
Hope that helps you but in sure someone will be along soon who will know for sure
Cheers
Neil

171761 views (107 Kb)

Back to the top
Hi, your in the right area for the temp sender with the sensor next to the spark plugs, I'm sure it has the red/yellow wire on it… looks like you may have the wrong part, put up a pic of what you have bought and somebody will help clear it up.

Something else to check that is also tied into your temp gauge is the No 42 or 43 relay, either (not both) will be fitted to the fuse box… pull that out and check the gauge, if the gauge works the relay is more than likely goosed.  Worth checking anyway…

Back to the top
Thanks for your replies, google can't help me, I have put all word combinations of my issue & nothing yet has helped!! I will get a pic of the part & where I thought it may go, I will check the relays though, that's a good shout!

Thanks again!

Back to the top
is it 2 pin? if so they have given you a mk2 golf/late mk1 cabrio one. you need the smaller single pin black collar one with m10x1 thread part number 049919501

its probably in the front flange on yours, it has a red/yellow wire to it. first check the wire and spade are all clean and tight

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.