Skip navigation

Fuel Distributor

Back to the top

New Golf Cabrio

Hey Guys,

So I've just got a beautiful mk1 88 cab for my wifes anniversary. It's her dream car.

I'm doing what I can to make it look the part with the little funds and knowledge I have.

The first thing I want to do is replace the fuel distributor. Would you guys know the best place to get parts from and how to determine that I'm getting the correct one from the used market?

Back to the top
I dont think these are available any longer.  Local mechanic who looks after my VWs waited for nearly two years to obtain one, went through the mill trying cleaned and recon units from der fazzerland with no joy, eventually one came up, brand new on ebay. £200 and allowed the project car to be completed after two years.

Why do you want to change this? they are normally very reliable units. it is fuel injected?, isn't it?  

Back to the top
thanks for the reply bud

Yeah, it's jumping back and forth and has little acceleration. Garage it's at said that this would solve it, but also that after it's warmed up it runs smoothly.

He said the previous owner (who gave me the car) used to warm it up for 10 before using it.

This sound realistic?

Back to the top
the old digifant units are pretty reliable, but this sounds more like the warm up valve/regulator. These are known to fail/slumber.  You can replace these, but again, I'd try a used unit which many vehicles had this on it across the VAG range at the time. Mine had rough start when cold, £5 at a breakers yard and a few minutes later I replaced mine and car ran perfect.

It a very simple replacement, and maybe something that could do a five minute swap over with a local guy with a VAG engined unit to test, then at least you know or have eliminated one factor.  I'd give that a bash as a starting point. This is a very simple and effective test. I'd be hoping the fuel distributor is the last thing to go, as I don't believe this will be effected by the engine temp.  I believe all the fuel injected VAG units up until late 1980's had these, so it's an eBay job or speak nicely to the local VAG group and see if anyone would let you loose with a screwdriver under their bonnet.  I know folk who wouldn't be phased by this and others who would never consider it! but this is where I'd be focusing my attention.   :-)

Back to the top
Pity you're over the pond…
http://www.scottishvag.net/viewtopic.php?f=209&t=117741
 I just spotted this. But I don't think this is your issue.

Back to the top
Hey Craig,

Thanks for the replies.

That link give me a login page, can you copy it over by chance?

Ok, so I'm going to go and collect the car today and not have him replace the fuel distributor. He said he wouldn't charge me labor and he could get one for $250 which I believe is a good price… but if it is more likely the warm up valve/reg then I think I can save myself some money right?

The symptoms are:

it doesn't have much acceleration at all.
Jumpy when I put my foot down, like it's getting 'spurts' of power
On cold start if left idle over 30-60 seconds is slowly dies.

This still sound like the warm up valve?

Back to the top
http://www.scottishvag.net/viewtopic.php?f=209&t=117741

www.scottishvag.net/viewtopic.php?f=209&t=117741

Try that link, I saw your other post too, it's the idle stablisation valve that I am meaning, oops.  :$A previous model had trouble starting and running, replaced this and all ok. And its certainly cheaper than the fuel distributor.  :thumbs:I can't seem to get the link to work, it's on scottishvag.net   if you search in there for a metering head you'll find it. 

Back to the top
well I drove it back to the house. She would die if cold started but when she got warm her idle levelled out. However she still had the jump acceleration and the lack thereof.

Is there a way to test/check the current idle stablisatiion valve?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.