Skip navigation

1986 MK1 GTI Christmas Cabriolet Special Edition

Back to the top
Model: MK1 Golf GTI Spec/Trim option: Christmas Cabriolet
Year of manufacture: 1986 Mileage: 39,900!! SUPER LOW, Engine upgraded and has less than 500 miles on it, will go up as i drive it regularly.
Price:£8,500
Contact details: 07581007328 - Whatsapp message me as i dont often have my phone on me
Condition: Excellent
Service history: folder full of receipts and service bits, i have built and serviced the engine and mechanics myself, past owner kept lots of service work at garages this is all included and have every receipt in its folder for everything from wipers to piston rings.
Mot expiry Date: cant remember, next few months - if its run out before its sold i will run it through again and will come with full MOT
Taxed or sorn: Taxed

PSX_20211113_083538.jpg
PSX_20211114_180803.jpg
PSX_20211218_160926.jpg PSX_20211114_141013.jpg

Description:
Car available Mid-August, viewing welcome beforehand, test drives as a passenger fine – location Just outside Chester by Airbus at Broughton, I am happy to get it up on stands for you before you come as well if you want to inspect underneath. You won’t find a more accommodating and honest seller! The sale in a paragraph. Yes, it’s expensive but EVERYTHING is done, it has got less than 40K miles, full body restoration including brand new hood and the engine has just been rebuilt, increased from 1.8 to 2.0. OEM+ Look, with plenty of power to keep up with and blast straight past modern traffic. Gets 35MPG and costs me £150 a year to insure. If you want a project to work on then don’t bother buying this as its already done, if on the other hand you want something to polish, take to shows, enjoy, and drive then this is for you. With a little polishing this is easily one of the best examples on the road in regular use, and is probably the best GTI Christmas Cabriolets left.

The sale in MORE than a paragraph
  • 1986 Special Edition Golf GTI Christmas Cabriolet, one of only 42 left on the road and I haven’t seen one better than this.
  • HUGE HUGE HUGE folder, photos of its resto, been featured in a car mag so includes cuttings, receipts worth probably £15k+ (I don’t want to add them up, last time I did it was past £10K not including the purchase of the car!) past owner did the tracing thing so you can see all the past owners etc, - must be over a hundred pages of stuff.
  • 39,800 miles – yes that’s right, 39k miles, will go up and might push past 40K as I have a few more shows to go to.
  • Real head-turner, garners lots of attention at shows.
  • Classic car with power to match modern cars, 5 speed 2.0L injection – cruises happily at any speed and is enjoyable on both motorways at 70+ or on country roads.
 Mechanics
  • I just finished rebuilding the engine – less than 200 miles on it, kept OEM+ it’s the same K-Jet GTI setup but has now been changed from a 1.8 to a 2.0L, big jump in power but keeps the OEM look.
  • Literally every consumable has been changed, every bolt and washer changed to stainless steel, every bearing and gasket inside and out changed and where possible upgraded, all filters, pumps, piston rings – you name it, it’s done.
  • Head on the block has just been rebuilt, decked, valves and seats re-ground, new valve guides and stem seals etc. Newman fast road cam with uprated performance valve springs imported from the USA (Prevent valve float at high RPM), brand new hydraulic lifters and a Verner pulley.
  • Has the MK2 larger butterfly throttle body + the matching Warm up regulator so that you get more “Punch” when you put your foot down
  • WUR has been rebuilt, new o-rings + has been modified so you can change the control and fuel pressures for both hot and cold. (For an extra charge I can make you up a monitor to allow you to set and monitor your fuel and control pressures for the K-jet.
  • Car currently has an wideband AEM AFR gauge installed to monitor the exhaust mix, this will be removed for the sale but can be included for an extra £150
  • 4-2-1 fully stainless performance downpipe, mid-box delete and large backbox (All fully stainless) – very good flow and deep raspy sound.
  • Clutch has about 1,500 miles on it, release bearings and all gaskets and push rod + bronze bushing etc in the gearbox changed and oil is brand new – less than 200 miles on it. Clutch cable brand new and the wall has had a reinforcing patch put on so the cable is nice and firm.
  • Breaks front and back have about 1,500 miles on them, and tyres are as good as new – still have the little tab things on them, Snowflake alloys (OEM) usual expected chips here and there but not curbed at all.
  • Battery is about a year and a half old.
  • Engine revs very happy and delivers power all the way to 7K and beyond, super fun to drive constant torquey and linier power delivery throughout every gear as you would expect from a non turbo NA engine.
  • Car has been Polly bushed apart from engine mounts (conscious decision so the ride wasn’t unbearable), Lowered on coil overs up front, and strut brace to stiffen ride, holds the road well and is a total dream to boot around Welsh B roads.
  • Brand new fuel tank + filler neck – Stainless steel braded fuel lines and new BOSCH Lift and Main pump. If I was keeping it I would change the lines to solid lines as I don’t trust the ethanol they put in the fuel these days (I only run it on 99ron premium)
  • Yet to go on the dyno, but I expect the power is somewhere around 120 range but with LOTS more torque from the 2.0L swap, remember when you compare the power to a modern car, these old ones – even the cabriolets weigh nothing so this will easily stick to the bumpers of modern hot hatches on windy roads, and it will eat stuff like boy racers in corsa’s for breakfast. Lots of comments on how fast, nippy and fun it is, always takes people by surprise.
  • Headlights are upgraded to Night breakers and have the loom upgrade for direct power from the battery via relays.
PSX_20220724_212543.jpg PSX_20220723_225527.jpg PSX_20220723_224028.jpg PSX_20220723_223629.jpg PSX_20220711_184527.jpg PSX_20220711_184429.jpg PSX_20220711_082032.jpg

Interior
  • OEM special edition CC GTI interior and fabric, 100% original and all bolsters and seats are in very very very good condition for age. – very rare to have it all there.
  • Has three gauges installed, Voltage, Water Temp, Oil Pressure.
  • New heater matrix
  • Carpets are perfect, even the heel pad.
  • Dash is almost perfect – 99.999%, no cracks or dings etc clocks, dials and switches all work and I have changed out the LCD so that has no bleeding and shows time etc.
  • Dash lights, speedo light, etc all changed to LED but the same colour and shade as OEM
  • Speakers all new, and Pioneer head unit with the pop out phone holder integrated into the head unit (It’s the unit that most people fit to their MK1’s.
  • Has aftermarket central locking, and also had a TOAD alarm fitted that I took out to do something else then never put back again as I never used it – it will be included with the sale if you want to put it back in – instructions included.
  • Secret kill switch added to cut all power to the car for extra piece of mind when parked up.
  • in some of these pics the seats look like they have marks but they are just a bit wet from the rain and need a bit of a shampoo, they are super good condition - especially for a car from 1986
PSX_20220724_172353.jpg PSX_20220724_165731.jpg PSX_20220724_165701.jpg PSX_20220724_165631.jpg PSX_20220723_230328.jpg
 Body
  • Full body restoration over several years at a bodywork college prior to my ownership some time around 2015 (Photos included in history file), its finished in a super bright white with a gold metallic shimmer – absolutely stunning top-notch job, one of the best jobs I have ever seen, with GTI decals on the doors and the OWM Christmas cabriolet decals on rear quarters and boot
  • Metal stamped numberplates
  • Windows all good, no cracks and I can’t even see any chips in the window screen
  • Hood has been re-done by Carl Chorley (The best in the business) in a dark blue mohair, its in fantastic as new condition and 100% watertight.
  • Has the OWM vinyl cover for the roof when its down + comes with a wind blocker as seen in the photos to keep wind buffering at a minimum.
  • Body is 99.99% solid everywhere and you are welcome to come and take a good look, take the wheels off and lift it – whatever you want its rock solid including in the arches. There is literally only one speck of surface rust on the entire car and its about the size of a 5p on the bottom corner of the passenger door has started to pop up and needs dealing with, its half a days job at most and a easy fix, if I didn’t mention it I guarantee you wouldn’t spot it.
  • Full car has been wax oiled in the arches and underneath twice a year and very well looked after, with a full body wax at least 4 times a year.
  • Sale includes outdoor car cover although I never use it as I believe they do more damage than good.
  • Paintwork is 9.7 out of 10, but an amateur can get it to 10/10 in a weekend. as mentioned above small patch of surface rust on the bottom corner of the passenger door, then a few tiny (1-3mm) stone chips in the usual places and the front bumper has a few spots that need dealing with but again – a easy job.
  • Has aftermarket front and rear badges on it at the moment, the OEM ones will be included with the sale so if you want to put it back to stock then you can.
  PSX_20220723_223727.jpg PSX_20220723_223810.jpg PSX_20211114_141234.jpg

What’s left to do? What would you do if you kept it?
I stress – the car is complete, nothing needed – these are all just the extras I was planning to do but never got round to.
  • Change the breaks up front to Scirocco 16v ones so they will fit under the snowflakes and increase stopping power. They are rare as hens teeth but I have the breaks (NOS) but never got round to fitting them, if you want them then ask for a price – if your not in a rush and you pay then I might even fit them for you!
  • Change the braided fuel lines for solid – the lines were fitted by the last owner about 4 years ago, after them changing the fuel to have more ethanol I don’t trust any lines with rubber in them so I would change them for solid if I were keeping it. – notice how many classics keep going up in flames lately?
  • Get a new spot to mount the WUR, this is just for aesthetics.
  • Polish it and keep on top of it. I drive it, a lot, I don’t enjoy polishing cars so this needs a nice cut and polish, I clay bared it once and polished it and it looked mind-blowing! – I regularly clean and wax it but never really go too in-depth like the concourse guys.
  • Get a touch-up pen out and sort the little stone chips out
  • Have the wheels striped and diamond cut – snowflakes look incredible diamond cut
  • Sort that little spot of surface rust out that I mentioned above

signature.jpg

Back to the top
***SOLD***

signature.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.