Skip navigation

new to me 1992 golf Cabriolet

Back to the top

AllMacs said

Yes i am doing a similar thing to get the gear out.
About that bolt… its not a hex bolt originally, correct? More like the bolts  for the motor mounts?

mine have always been hex, but I suspect after all these years they could be anything, From Allen to Phillips to Filister.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I read someone had an allen bolt in there. 
I had a hex bolt that was maybe a 1/4 inch long

Back to the top

AllMacs said

I read someone had an allen bolt in there. 
I had a hex bolt that was maybe a 1/4 inch long

Sounds about right for the length.  
Allen, Hex, Screw head, well don't matter as long as it tightens and allows the cover plate to seal.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
While i had the gauge cluster out, I improved the grounds a bit and installed a new voltage regulator. Now my gauge reads a bit higher temp and fuel. Ill see if that stays or settles in the next few weeks

Back to the top
So I received the new gear today . The old gear is stripped in the center area and apparently wasn't seated right. The metal cup that sits on top was not flush with the transmission facing. So therefore I had a heck of a time trying to get the securing bolt in. I have a bounce at low speeds in the speedo needle. almost a wave. it stops at higher speeds.

Back to the top

AllMacs said

Today my dash went out intermittently . I guess the 10c voltage regulator is the next thing to be replaced?

I found out that the intermittent cluster outage has to do with the ignition key switch.

Back to the top

AllMacs said

AllMacs said

Today my dash went out intermittently . I guess the 10c voltage regulator is the next thing to be replaced?

I found out that the intermittent cluster outage has to do with the ignition key switch.

on the 90ish with the airbag, and the way they placed the knee-bar with the electrical switches up against the
shaft covers you have to take that down, not completely out to get to the 2 screws so you can remove the covers…

Be sure going back to Pull out on the inner shaft, verify that the lower strut bearing is in position, and use a Long Straight slot screw-driver in the u-joint on the floor with a block of wood as a fulcrum to hold the shaft in position so the bearing and shaft don't slide down as you try to get the clip back on…..

Where are my DIY Links?
There are too many online users to list.