Skip navigation

Cold start splutter for about 20-30 seconds!

Back to the top
YES!!!!! So today was a good day!
Been a busy boy, bought a bottle of CRC for my Air Flow Meter, waited 'til i got it today to 'finish' my car…
I bought a Gasket as previous for the meter head/FD, o'ring, new return line bolt to FD sorted.
So took the unit apart, from the air box, & FD, sprayed some CRC through the plunger & return lead, waited 'til it dried, cleaned around the Sensor unit throughout, wiped/dried… put it back together, bolted meter head to the Sensor unit, torqued up injectors to the FD, vacuums connected too. The PPR has had a new o'ring & .3 shim added.
So after 3 weeks between a few things, the WUR being serviced, so to speak, i turned the car over & she started…gave it a minute or so for all the air to get out of the system & took it for a small spin for literally a few hundred yards.
IT FELT GREAT - RESPONSIVE WITH NO HESITATION AT ALL! YYYEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!
It's been a long time, money & work - but worth it! I really don't think this car has been running like this for a long time!
IT DOES NEED A TUNE though, to be booked in in the next week or so
:thumbs: … (using shell nitro fuel) after going for a 10-15mile spin, got home & it was on my drive running, it seemed to be idling normal then low, normal then low… So my thinking it needs a tune - What do you guys think?? Also the same happened when the fan came on…
I'm really happy how it's running though… feel i've done so much to her..
 :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:Cheers to rubjonny mark1gls LeeO Briano1234 to name a few 

Back to the top
with all the work its very likely the co will need a tune now, 99% there :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Glad it's driving well, with the idle try increasing the idle speed up to about 1200 rpm then give the throttle a few  blips the lower the idle back down to just below 1000 rpm and give the idle another few blips to see if it stays there.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Just an update guys, took it for a tune this morning!!! Yeeeessss!!! Guy said it was smelling/running rich be fore the bonnet was pulled! he put tension in my accelerator cable, adjusted CO's & did 1 or 2 other tuning things… Said the injectors were fine too. Didn't take long at all to be fair to him, knew his stuff & said he preferred working on the older cars :thumbs: Said for me to use fuel cleaner, which I do, take it or a good run to get the soot off the Spark Plugs… if anything changes with the running of the car to take it back & he'll sort it. Felt good when idling & pulling up in traffic or lights, no up or down on the revs… did mention that a hose was weak, (discussed with Rubjonny) he said that would affect the pressure of the brakes.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.