Skip navigation

2.0 ABF bottom end and 16V KR head rebuild Pic heavy

Back to the top

2.0 ABF bottom end and 16V KR head rebuild Pic heavy

Thanks mate. I can't believe the difference.

I drove 300 miles and it started to cut out at junctions. I had this before and I just turned the idle screw out 1/4 turn and it cured it.

I'm really tempted to go ahead with the metering head mod or do I go for the mk3 EFI set up and something like a Emerald 3 stage ECU and bigger injectors. All in time tho… I am enjoying the car too much.

Back to the top
Theres a guy on cgti (vwsingh) he had his standard abf lump remapped on after market management (megasquirt) and it made 176 bhp.
now if you put the work you have done to the to your engine you should be looking at very healthy gains
but as you said enjoy it for now what you have ia not to shabby!!

82 Golf Gti. The snail project (abf turbo one day)

Saab 93 diesel daily

Back to the top

Fuelling.

Yeah it's a cracking motor! I think he said with my mods and reconned metering head it would push more power than an ECU controlled car but would do less mpg. I'd be well happy with 185bhp but I can't think of any other way to squeeze an extra 15bhp. I'll look into the metering head and keep you posted!

Back to the top
Hiya chaps and chapes',

I've been towing with the idea of converting my GTi to ABF management. As you know, Tom from TSR Performance said the metering head couldn't supply enough fuel to get maximum results….

What do you guys think, I know some of you have a experience with this sort of stuff.

Would ABF management, I better set of injectors that may flow more and poss something like a superchip be better than the metering head that has been set up but not producing what it should? Also, it is a swine to get it to idle correctly as I believe there is something wrong with the idle adjust screw/seal. Maybe ABF management will solve this as it has a different throttle body?

What do you guys make with a super chipped ABF management. I am told to expect maximum of 6bhp and 5 torques max?

Back to the top
you will get similar performance out of it when the k-jet is tuned properly, but it'll be more of a ball ache to get it there as not many people have the skills and parts are hard to find. they are out there though if you look hard enough!

abf management is what I would do though as its much easier to work on and get spares for. no timing or idle adjustments to fiddle with, all ecu controlled! a chip will gain you around 4-6 bhp/torques, I have one on my abf. the power difference isnt amazing but the curves are much smoother plus the afrs were improved (checked before/after by toyotec)

heres the graph, totally standard ABF engine with jetex 2.5" exhaust:

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

ABF management over k-jet.

Well I make 3bhp more than you and only 129lb-ft torque with a gas flowed head and Newman 288 camshafts fully rolling road set up by TSR. As I say tho, they did say they couldn't get the metering head to send anymore fuel to the engine hence the poor results. They said they would have expected 185bhp and much more torque.

Seems you have a cracking engine for a lot less money! What a waste I have. I suppose it would be worth a try converting it back to ABF management to see if I can get some more fuel delivered to the engine via the EFI.

I recon it will either be the same or more?

Back to the top
you cant really compare your power figures to mine as you didnt use the same rolling road, on the same day, with the same operator. it was more to show you with/without the ebay chip to give you an idea of if  they're worth it!

but yeah my abf is certainly a very healthy one made loads more power than a std mk3 golf abf on the same day :)

Back to the top

Abf

I know what your saying. It can only improve power and hopefully I may see a few more mpg and it should solve my idling issues etc. how much do you charge to convert a mk1 gti loom to run the ABF management or is it easy enough to do. Maybe there's a guide?

Back to the top
£90 to do the job for you, or I can take you thru it up to you!

lots of info here:
The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Hiya. Sooo…. I've had a good few months with the car and it has been…. Shall we say…. An experience.

I couldn't cope with the bottom end so I swapped the k-jet for the EFI ABF kit, this made a major improvement! However, these 288 cams are begining to be a pain. It is a swine to drive as you need to keep the revs up otherwise you kangaroo all over the road.

It goes like an absolute b*st*rd when you get going with te cams. Even with the extra mega power I've thought about selling them as I can't cope with the lumpy idling as the car has slowly become more of a daily runner.

Is anyone interested?

What is a good alternative? I have some KR cams in the shed still?

Back to the top
go with the abf cams over kr, but if kr is all you have then they're fine to use.

if you wanna keep the lumpy ones and have a nice daily it'll be megasquirt time

Back to the top
Is it mappable to stop the kangarooing?

I'm not sure what to do, I've spent £1000's on this car :-s

Don't the KR cams have a slightly bigger lift than the ABF or have I got mixed up and sold the wrong ones :-s

Back to the top

Broken.

Haha, I've just broken down in the middle of some busy cross roads and had to push my car about 300 yards away from the cross roads as it was that busy. I managed to get it onto some old lady's drive (who by the way offered me a cup of tea) in the hammering it down rain. Not one person offered to help me push it apart from the old lady. I didn't take her up on it btw! After about half an hr of fiddling around I rang the AA to get me home. An hr and a half later NO AA! I started fiddling again and managed to get it running and drive it 3 miles to my street where it broke down at the end of the road. Crazy!!!

It's a good job golfs are really light ;-)

I have a sneaky suspicion the ECU and wiring has got damp with this crazy rain were having or maye the crank sensor is faulty.

Back to the top
sounds crank sensory to me dude, this is one of the things you should always buy new when you do an abf swap: (yes, the 2.0 8v one is the same as abf before you ask :lol:)
http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/037-906-433a.html

megasquirt is fully mappable so you can sort out the lumpyness no problem. its just more expense at the end of the day though if you just want a reliable daily a std abf is all you need really they are pretty damn quick without needign a lot of expensive parts, especially in a mk1. im more than happy with my std mk2 abf i wouldnt bother changing anything

theres a lot of discussion around about abf and kr cams, iirc kr more lift and abf more duration or something. but the consensus seems to be abf cams are a little better. but as i say if you have some kr cams then fit em, they'll work fine. claw a bit of money back sellign off those lumpy ones ;)

Back to the top
I know, that was my thought. Trouble is they cost me £400 a few months ago and I've not done many miles on them. Advertised them at £350 and no interest. Might just have to box them up and save them for a 2.0 16v track car or something cool like that haha.

Back to the top
yeah tbh thats what i would do wrap em up nice in some grease papaer and bring em out again later on once i bought a megasquirt kit

Back to the top
ABF EFI is sequential injection so megasquirt would make those camshafts way more liveable. The more precise control over the fuelling across the range would be much better. I did wonder why you went with a metering head to be honest.

Back to the top
I went with the metering head because the original engine was a 1.8 16v kR so it ment I could use the ABF lump and still use the KR loom that was already fitted. It was a time and a money thing. Remember I use this car alot so it gave me time to get it set up and make a loom up for the ABF. It took a few days to get the ABF lump running on the metering head, it took me a few weeks to get the ABF running on its original running gear :-(

How about a Emerald ECU. I used to have one, it had te ability to switch between 3 different maps.

Back to the top
hi , going back a few pages i see 8v original pump and accumulator ? that runs the abf/kr setup fine ? and would fuel a kr k jet ?

Back to the top
Yes, you need the accumulator for k-jet and the Bosch 8v pump is more than capable. You don't need the accumulator for ABF management but it will run fine with it.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.