Skip navigation

2.0 8v block and 1800 DX head - Crank shaft position sensor question

Back to the top
Hi Guy's,

Car: 1993 Cabriolet GTi
Engine: 2.0 block (from golf mk3 gti) with 1800 original head. The engine was fully rebuilt and all work done by previous owner with new injectors etc.

I have owned my mk1 carbiolet gti for a little while now and ever since I got the car there has been a hot start issue. The car will push start every time it fails to start normally therefore I think I this would rule out leaking injectors, fuel pressure etc?? After investigating I noticed the crank shaft sensor is disconnected/not wired. From research it seems the the mk1 gti 1800 block does not have a crank shaft position sensor?? and further research seems to suggests the a faulty crank sensor can cause hot start issues for mk3 gti. Now the big question, if I were to get a new crank sensor fitted, were would I plug the wiring considering the original 1800 head does not require a crank sensor?? Sorry if this seems to a daft question but I am not too familiar with all of this and before I take it to a garage to get ripped off I though it would be wise to seek advice from the forum.

Any help is greatly appreciated, sun is here but can't really use the car due to the intermittent start issue.

Thanks

Golf MK1 Sportline, Golf MK2 Driver, Golf MK5 Gti, Jetta MK5 TFSi

Back to the top
Have you checked to fuel accumulator? my money would be this losing presure. There is info on how the test this on this site.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Have you checked to fuel accumulator? my money would be this losing presure. There is info on how the test this on this site.

Hi Mark,

I was losing pressure then it will push start ok? I will look further into the accumulator being the at fault, thanks!

Golf MK1 Sportline, Golf MK2 Driver, Golf MK5 Gti, Jetta MK5 TFSi
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.