Skip navigation

1981 1.6 GLS Cab

Back to the top

1981 1.6 GLS Cab

I have just bought one of these cheap and got it though the mot

in says on the registration document its a 1.6 and also on the engine it says 1.6 but it has an engine code of JB which i thought were the 1.5's.

also when i phoned the insurance company they said there was no such thing as a mk1 1.6 gls cab.

one last thing does antyone know what carb was on these and which way to turn the mixture screw to weaken it off. tryed using a crypton machine but constantly blocks it up.

cheers

Tim

Back to the top
JB is definitely a 1.5 engine - confusing, as the block has 1.6 stamped on it!  No 1.6 carb mk1 Golf after introduction of small stroke 1.5 engine in the late 70s.

1978 (S) GOLF 1.5 GLS

Daily Driver - 2015 GOLF R

Back to the top

BARNEYM1979 said

JB is definitely a 1.5 engine - confusing, as the block has 1.6 stamped on it!  No 1.6 carb mk1 Golf after introduction of small stroke 1.5 engine in the late 70s.

I have a 1984 1.6 carb Mk1 Golf…..

Yes, JB is definitely 1457cc unless bored/stroked. Interestingly, GLS cabbys were only available for a couple of years, early on in the production run.

Back to the top

paul_c said

BARNEYM1979 said

I have a 1984 1.6 carb Mk1 Golf…..

Yes, JB is definitely 1457cc unless bored/stroked. Interestingly, GLS cabbys were only available for a couple of years, early on in the production run.

I bow to your greater knowledge!  Thanks for this.  :D

1978 (S) GOLF 1.5 GLS

Daily Driver - 2015 GOLF R

Back to the top
Hi, New here!

Just reading this- interestingly i have exactly the same conundrum. Wanting to find out a bit more.. so why, if its a 1.5, is it listed as 1.6 everywhere? how does that happen? and why's the head got 1.6 stamped on it? I'm not doubting it is 1.5, engine codes match and as was mentioned, and gls 1.6 doesn't exist- which I've learned from euro carparts!

My question is, if this is 1.5, how do we get this changed on the registration etc, cause it affects the amount of tax you have to pay, i think 1.5 is 145 a year, 1.6 is 220?

also, mine is a Karmann edition? don't know if this means much! if anyone has any further info, I'd be interested to know! thanks.  :cool:

Back to the top
yeah 1.6 is above cheap tax band. wonder if you could get a refund on all the tax paid up till now :lol:

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.