Skip navigation

Topic #145037 (no title)

Back to the top

AGM - Uttoxeter as the venue

kaykay3 said

Somethig I just can't understand!.
We have just held our AGM meeting & no one mentioned moving from Uttoxeter. This topic crops up every year.
I have attended many shows from the early nineties with my Mk1 Golfs, from as far apart as Dunfirmline in Scotland to South Wales & Berkshire in the south, & can assure everyone that Uttoxeter is by far the best. It's central location, facilities & size are hard to beat.
     PLEASE put this to bed once & for all, support our committee in thier efforts to move the Club forward, and have a regular meeting venue for the AGM.
Thank you Keith for your comments I respect your views on this subject saying you traveled over 175 miles to get there lets put it this way if you drove the same distance you did and went south you would have been wet and ended up 10 miles in the English Channel  8O

And not a single complaint from you about the distance,  :notworthy:

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
I cant see anyone who turned up moaning about the distance to be honest, otherwise they wouldnt have gone.

I personally dont mind the distance but there will be people who do.

I bet there would be quite a few dropping out if it they had to travel further.

One thing I know is that its a tough choice deciding where to have it as no matter where it is there will always be people who are put off.

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

I cant see anyone who turned up moaning about the distance to be honest, otherwise they wouldnt have gone.

I personally dont mind the distance but there will be people who do.

I bet there would be quite a few dropping out if it they had to travel further.

One thing I know is that its a tough choice deciding where to have it as no matter where it is there will always be people who are put off.
your spot on it is very hard to please everyone and its never going to happen.

the beauty of Uttoxeter is the size of the place the people at Uttoexeter who we have to work with are very very accommodating and will bend over backwards to help us which to be fair is worth its weight in gold we don't have to jump through loops for them it make the organisation of the event easy compared to when we had it at Coombe Abbey where nothing at all apart from the grass was supplied by the land owners.
I would have no problems traveling further south if we could find a venue which ticks all the boxes Uttoexeter does and to be fair it is quite centrally located when you look at it on a map.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
I,ve just read all the comments on this issue, to be honest i personally love the meet, like others have said there is'nt many places/shows that you can leave your car unlocked, top down, personal items left in the car and return with them still there, this should speak for it's self as to the sort of people that turn up, ie people who are there for one thing, MK1 GOLFS, the club name and what it stands for counts for everything, look at where the club started and where it is today, 700 plus members and counting, each AGM gets better (no matter where it is), more poeple turn up each year, everything about the club is on the up, this speaks volumes, you will never please everyone, thats life, you could hold a meet each month in different locations and people would still moan, what we should all think about to be honest is, WOULD YOU DO IT, would you like the commitee/organisers like to do what they have to do, i would'nt, it takes alot of personal time and effort to pull off a weekend like that.
 As already mentioned to have a venue where the owners are willing to help out and bend over backwards for you makes life a hell of a lot easier, showers/toilets/nice food/hard standing/soft standing/stalls/bouncy castle/auto jumble/covered area/nice cars/nice people.
 Thanks to the people that took the time and effort to organise the weekend, can't wait till next year.

IF NEXT YEAR THERE WAS'NT AN AGM AT ALL I WONDER HOW MANY WOULD MOAN THEN.

:D  :)  :D  :)  :D  :)  :D  :)  :D  :)  :D  :)  :D  :)  :D

Back to the top

bigbadchris said

For those sugesting further south is madness IMO, I think a great location would be in the pub car park opposite my house lol

Seriously though could the venue not change every year?

If funds are a problem, I'd pay more than £30 for a weekend ticket! By doing this is would generate more people attending in the long run, I nearly didnt come because of the distance, but, once people had been to 1 AGM which is fairly close to them they might attend again…..?

This would also give the regional hosts a job to do when the show is near them, i.e. Putting the word out for trade stands/auto jumbe etc…

This would let other trade stands attend giving us, the members more contacts in the trade.

Just a thought

Just think Chris if we hold it on the car park by your house then you can sleep in ye bed and we wont have to listen to you snoaring all night  :lol: jj kid lol

On a serious note I thought AGM was class and all that come with it including the price and location and in fact i did pay £60.00 to come as i brought 2 cars and bought a ticket for both cars, and id pay £60 again tomorrow if needed be!! It was class :D

Back to the top
Getting to Uttoxeter was a bit of a bitch - but that's the UK weather for you! On arrival the welcome was first class and the arrangements worked. Ultimately you pays your money and you makes your choices. Hats off to the committee for giving of their time to make the AG happen.  8)

Back to the top
Hi,this was my first time attending the agm, I travelled from Cork in Ireland to Uttoexeter,I drove from Cork to Dublin, Caught a Ferry to Holyhead and drove from there to Uttoexeter in the pouring rain, I could not believe how friendly people were at the show, I was a little dissapointed by the lack of trade stands, but as already pointed out this is to be expected as we are only dealing with the mk1.
I think Uttoexeter is a brilliant location and the town has some great pubs and hotels, and shops.
I thought the run on Saturday was excellent, and was delighted to go to Donnington, we had no accomadation arranged for Saturday night, the guy sitting with us at the table  in the resturant in Donnington spent a good 15 mins looking up B+B for us on his phone and he never met us before,how great was that, just goes to show how friendly people are that attend the show.
I have attended shows in the south over the years, the cars are of a standard that they are almost trailered to the show in a cocoon, and no expense spared on what it takes to make them a show car, however this is not reality, the show at Uttoexeter was more about guys who enjoy driving their cars, which suits me as I love driving mine.
I enjoyed the atmosphere and had no worry about my car being damaged or interfered with when I left it with the roof down.
I hope to make it again next year funds permitting, wish I lived closer and on the same island.
all credit to the organisers, job well done!

Back to the top
I dont think there is anything wrong with Uttoxeter, but to please the soft southeners, why dont we check Malvern out as a possible venue in October? It's a bit more south and were attending the classic car show as a club anyway.

Back to the top

bouchay said

I dont think there is anything wrong with Uttoxeter, but to please the soft southeners, why dont we check Malvern out as a possible venue in October? It's a bit more south and were attending the classic car show as a club anyway.

You just wanna camp with the Bedford cf lot :lol:  :lol:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top
Putting the ticket prices up would put people off.

Is the current venue really the best choice if the club looses money on it.

Ill be there next year no matter where it is.

Back to the top

ans4r said

bouchay said

You just wanna camp with the Bedford cf lot :lol:  :lol:

That's where you're wrong ans4r, I don't wanna be camping with the Bedford CF Lot, just showing them how the Midland VW crowd make their vans & tents oh so steamy ;)

And Malvern is right on my doorstep so won't moan about how far it is to drive!

Back to the top
malvern is far to south for a venue

Banner

Back to the top
I have not read the full thread but from away up here the distance is far enough.

I never made it this year as I was on holiday but if I was going, by the time I bring the wife and my 2 boys plus all the camping gear etc, I would need my wife to bring her car as well.

So 2 cars for 1 weekend travelling 600 miles round trip is far enough and a big enough expense, never mind further.

:D

Back to the top
Uttoxeter is a great venue as it has fantastic facilitys, close to major shops for food and more importantly beer and ice, its not too far from been central and who wants to step up and organise drive out and other things that go on behind the scene ie Anna did a great job on drive out but i would not expect Anna to travel miles and miles to sort a route out then check it over and over. I really can't understand the argument to move it what about the guys in north east or Scotland.

It dunt fit

Back to the top
Am i going to be shouted at if i start this discussion again...

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.