Skip navigation

Passenger window glass alignment..

Back to the top

Passenger window glass alignment..

Hey peeps!  :P

Just got my hands on a clean '81 Cabby. Got a few little jobs on it till im happy (for a while!!)

The main thing im trying to sort is the alignment on the passenger front window. When its fully up and you shut the door it seems to leave a slight gap to the hood, not by much just 3/4mm. Is there anyway to adjust the angle?? Had a gander through a Haynes but nothing on adjustment as such……  :(

Right along the second fold in the roof it seems to bow upwards slighly which does widen the gap anyhow but it sits flush on the drivers side?!!  :|

Cheers in advance!!  :P

Back to the top
Nice looking Cab , no hood expert though

Chudd out……

Back to the top
i have had this mate, it was caused from play from the part the glass sits in (not sure what its called, the metal strip with two bolts that mounts to the 'runner pole') take your door card off and you will see the part, only thing is i could wind it up fully, apply pressure then lock it all up not sure how you will do that on a cab, definatley worth having a look behind doorcards though and a fiddle, the glass may be moving in the seal too.

Back to the top
to me that 'bow' doesn't look right.. no Cabby roof expert either but I'd find another cabby and take a look at that roof

can you wind the window up higher if the door is open? just wondered if there might be something stopping it!  :dontknow:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Nice tidy cab vince!! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nice clean early car you've got there!

I dont think there is much you can do to the window to alter the height up and down but you can either move it forwards or backwards, or in and out.

You may be able to move the hood seal towards the glass! There is an eccentric bolt type thing thats on the hood frame, just above the C pillar then the hoods up. This can be adjusted and may help you. Mark its original position before you fiddle so you can put it back to how it was if it doesn't help. This may help the bow a little too.

It looks like most of the bow in the outer hood material is (I'm afraid to say) due to the hood shinking. This happens over time and the only remedy is a new hood. Mine needs doing too, its also cracking in the folds.

I guess you may have a problem with your winder mechanism stopping the window winding up far enough though. Might be worth looking at it. When the window is wound up, does the top of it touch the rubber at the front of the door?

Cheers,

Ross

Back to the top
That bowing along the sides is also caused by broken cables that run in the side of the hood to pull the hood down over the windows when it is closed.

The cables are cheap only about 15 from VW - not fitted any though - have to do them on my cab at some point.

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Cheers for the replies guys!  :lol:  much appreicated………

Ross, when the window is wound up it does touch the rubber of the hood at the front but then as far as you go towards the back of the door it gets wider (max about 3/4mm) I had the door cards off last night and had a look at the widen mech and this seems fine. Im guessing its def the hood thats the prob, but at first doubted it because the drivers door glass sits straight at the top.

I think from what you guys say its proberly just bowing on the passenger side of the hood more :dontknow:

I will have a look at the eccentric bolt and cables youve mentioned tonight.

Cheers again peeps!  :P

Back to the top
Wondering if anyone can advise me how to adjust my doors door glass in & out, backwards & forwards as suggestion in the thread above. This is the issue i have with my driver door glass see picture attached.

Thanks
Dvr Door Glass.jpg

Back to the top
Every bolt on the regulator assembly is an adjustment.

I need to see more pictures, as in:
Side of the car to include the door and the body.
I need better pictures of the the door class at the top as in the whole door and glass.
I need to see the way the top seal at the a frame.

Quick guess is the glass needs to be adjusted and the window stop on the regulator need to be reset and adjusted.

That is all bets are off if the door is sagging on the hinges and that is why better pictures are needed

see:
https://www.volkswagenownersclub.com/threads/how-to-remove-door-card-and-adjust-window-stop.32226/

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply i will put up more picture in while what is or where is the regulator assembly.

Back to the top
Added pictures
1000009075.jpg 1000009076.jpg 1000009077.jpg 1000009078.jpg 1000009079.jpg 1000009080.jpg
1000009081.jpg 1000009082.jpg 1000009083.jpg

Back to the top
Added pictures
1000009075.jpg 1000009076.jpg 1000009077.jpg 1000009078.jpg 1000009079.jpg 1000009080.jpg
1000009081.jpg 1000009082.jpg 1000009083.jpg

Back to the top
When it stops raining, I need to see the front A pillar seal, I need to see where the hood touches the a-pillar.

I see a few areas of issues, but would also like to see pictures of the door with the glass halfway down, as well as where the a pillar meets the door vent with the door closed.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
When it stops raining, I need to see the front A pillar seal, I need to see where the hood touches the a-pillar.

I see a few areas of issues, but would also like to see pictures of the door with the glass halfway down, as well as where the a pillar meets the door vent with the door closed.

The Cables on the sides are either either stretched or broken.  They attach 2 different ways and the replacements are based on a prey 83 frame or that latter frame.  I would need to see the top fully opened to guess.  But I have a thread on the side cables in the archive.  The newer top sits lower on the chassis when folded than the pre 83.  They attach at 2 different places one set (the early frames) are longer than the newer style.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Having had another look this morning its seems the door glass is catching on the upper door roof seal once i applied a little pressure to the glass the glass moved past the upper seal and the rear of glass is now flush and against the B pillar seal. Why is the glass catching on the seal? Thanks

Back to the top
Because the glass needs to be adjusted.
Your car door may be sagging a wee bit and folks adjusted the glass for the mal positioned door.

Why, because your door lines aren't correct.
Your front edge of the door is not gapped it is too close to the front fender.  

Your tops eccentric looks to be off as well as your B Pillar seal looks like it is being compressed by the top frame.  

https://www.volkswagenownersclub.com/threads/how-to-remove-door-card-and-adjust-window-stop.32226/

The in and out bow of the window glass is controlled by 2 10mm bolts at the bottom edge of the door at the rear.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thank you for the information you have been very helpful. I can a adjust the window glass using the 2 10mm bolts, i believe the door can also be adjusted what in your opinion is causing  the seal to be compressed

Back to the top
I have to see pictures.  I can only see things presented, at the photo of the door shows that it is too close to the fender or wing, the top looks a bit off, and with out seing edges and things I can only make educated guesses.

does it have electric windows or manual.  The Bottom rear adjusts the window to bow inward or out.  but all screws or bolts on the regulator are one adjustment or the other.

Chortle is in the UK and he is the top master.  You might PM him.  I am on the other side of the pond, but I have replaced a few tops over here, and replaced a power window door with a non-powered door but I had to make
cuts and adjustments.

The link in my signature will take you to my how to in the archive section and you can see all my how to's that I have done of the last decades or so.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.