Skip navigation

Any history on my mk1?

Back to the top

Looking for previous owners/ info

Hi guys,

I've had my mk1 for the past 10 years and restored it. I have read a lot of cool story's about previous ownership. So my car is a mk1 gti 1983 the reg is A827 AAN the car has 13 previous owners and been lhd converted and returned to rhd with no import marker so it has a story or 2.

I'm sure there would be 1 or 2 previous on here. The only information I have is that I bought the car off a chap in leamington called harry who at the time had a G60 swapped mk1 that was super clean. 

Any info is appreciated, thanks.
This is before the restoration.
IMG_0466.jpeg
This is now the car is restored

IMG_4708.jpeg

IMG_4706.jpeg

Back to the top
If it was originally a Campaign it may have featured in the Clubs Register - https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=car_register&type=search_form

I ran your number through, but nothing… a longer shot, but you could try things I'm not aware of such as original colour etc.

You may even find 'Harry' if he was a member and get a lead on tracking them down perhaps.

Guessing the paper boot / log book sticker is long gone, there's the odd bit of info., over and above option codes etc. that can be gleaned from it?

Back to the top
If A827 A AN is the original number assigned to the car, the letters I've high-lighted denote it was first registered (in the UK) in Reading.

Back to the top
Appreciate the info, a shame it's not on the register I'll put it on at some point. 

I'll try to find harry and go from there. The more annoying part was it did have the paper in the boot with PR codes on but they were all blurred stains couldn't get anything from it. So it got chucked out before the colour change.

I might ask the dvla of the owner list name/address etc… no doubt it will cost an arm n leg or I'll get the "data protection" stuff.

I'm sure it's the original plate and also fairly sure it's a campaign. I only bought it as a rolling shell mk1. At the time wasn't aware of all the trim levels would have been happy with a GL at 16 lol!

I'll update if I find any info, thanks

Back to the top
You can do a vw history of the Vin to ge the OEM "M" codes for how it came out of the factory.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
louisb , this is the data sheet link which Briano1234 mentioned. It's not cheap but it'll give you plenty of detail as a starter. 

Certificate and Data Sheets

Back to the top
Going off on a slight tangent and this'll be of no use to you if your data sticker's missing, however if it's still present it can potentially tell where your car was destined for from the factory.

Top line, far right may show a two letter code.

In the example below it's 'EN', which signifies 'England'.

EN.jpg

Back to the top
Some one here had a "Cost Effective" URL other than the VW Museum.    IIRC mine cost me about 40 Bucks back in 2006.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the links guys.

There's been a devolopment in the case lol! I've found "harry" I've messaged him hoping he remembers me and any info on the car. 

Now we wait…..

Thanks again for the messages appreciate the support 👍🏻

Back to the top
Harry has replied with this thread below and a picture the day he sold it to me

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=big-block-carb-engines_2%2Fhow-to-tune-my-twin

Fizzy0 was previous to harry now we need to find fizzy0 and more info 😂
badda422-de7b-4154-b06e-1e50e7c3be1d.jpeg

Back to the top
Donut wheels to go lower, good picture…:)  made me chuckle, lot.

I know the real History. made in Germany, moved to UK.  Lots of previous owners and now resting comfortably at your house.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Briano1234 lots of owners is very true 😂. I still have the 4 space savers 😂.

I just wanted to know why it got converted to lhd and would be cool to know its history.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.