Skip navigation

Accidentally short-circuited my tach meter. Please help

Back to the top

Accidentally short-circuited my tach meter. Please help

Hello,

While reinstalling my motometer (including MFA) from a VW Golf MK1 Cab 93, I accidentally touched the circled area while the car was running. I felt electricity on my finger and I instantly saw my rev meter falling to zero.

circled.jpg

I took it out again, checked continuity from pin 5 to the connector, checked the 14v to 10v 3pin regulator as described in this forum, I checked earth, all is good.

Symptoms are the following:
  • Tach meter does not work (stays at zero)
  • MFA Rev meter also shows zero, when doing the key on-off-on procedure to access the "hidden menu".
  • MFA AVG lt/100km does not work as well
  • The rest all work fine.
Below is a pic of the car running, with lt/100km and rev meter not working
dash.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

Back to the top
It is unfortunate I didn't get any responses. So I will share my current progress and maybe you can guide me because I am not good with electrical diagrams.

All the continuity of the 4-pin connector to the tach meter is fine. They go to 12v(pin 14), ground (pin 2), red/black cable (pin 5) comming from the engine bay, and the fourth pin is also well attached.

The question is: Signal to the RED/BLACK cable comes from Digifant ecu or from the igmition coil? On Haynes manual is on diagram 97-9190, the G5 index.

20240329_170945.jpg

Back to the top
The tach has 3 inputs, one 12VB+ one earth, and the signal is red / black  which is from the ignition coil, it also feeds the fuel pump relay on sircuit path 1, so I suspect that you have burned out your tach.

Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 9.11.50 PM.png

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
thanks for the reply. Is there a way to test it out of the car? I will take it apart and try to debug, but how do i test? what should I feed to imitate the red/black input?

Back to the top
You would need a sign-wave or chopped wave signal generator I would imagine as it is the pulsing wave of the various cylinders firing of the coil that produces the signal.  

Never took one apart.  

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.