Skip navigation

Tail lights, number plate lights and Dash lights not working

Back to the top
So I was fixing my left low beam headlight and after I was done I realized my tail lights, number plate lights and cluster lights are not working. Basicly everything on first position of headlight switch. But I think front parking lights do work. Not really sure since this incident happend over a year Ago.    So my temporary fix fór this was pulling Ground from fuse number six to the empty pin on headlight switch with number 30.  ( This fixed everything) So my Guess is that somehow i severed som earth point but I was not able to find anything sofar.     Any help Would be great.      But mystery for me also is why cluster lights did not work since they are grounded on pin number 2 of cluster harness. But the cluster indicstors of oil Pressure and glowplugs Worked.  So any explanation how the first position of headlight switch is grounded Would be helpfull.     

Back to the top
year and model would be nice to know as well as USA (Westy) or Golf.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
European 81 model with dieesel engine

Back to the top
For the tails and number plate, I would suspect main chassis ground at the rear of the car.  Find your ground wire at the rear lights, it is brown, and run a new wire to the Frame for each side, same for the number plate lights.

I would say that you probably have an issue with the headlight switch providing power to the Clocks usually a Grey/blue wire.  

There is a thread that shows you how to Plump your connection on a later Cabriolet, and to be honest in the 20 years that I owned my 81 Westy Rabbit Diesel I never had to touch my clocks at all I suspect I was very lucky, but they were a westy (USA) fuse panel the wires were a bit different.

Light bulbs do go bad and usually all at once, so it wouldn't be a bad Idea to replace then whine you have your clock out.  I would verify that you have ground on one side of the bulb and 12V on the other, that is 12V to frame.  That way you can see if the mylar ribbon is bad.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.