Skip navigation

Introduction

Back to the top
Good Evening
I just purchased my 2nd MK1 Golf Clipper Cab 1989 my  first was bought as tax free motor whilst serving in the Army in Germany in the early 90s which was soon to be sold due to my then wife falling pregnant. Already looked through loads of post and found loads of interesting information. Initially planning on keeping the vehicle long term and making no major changes keeping it as near to original as possible all works carried out will mainly be cosmetic. Do any of the members have any suggestions for having work to make sure the vehicle is technically sound and able to go from A-B without the worry of needing to use my RAC cover. It does currently has 6 months MOT and drove over 300 miles back to my home address with no issues. Im thinking to have it serviced can you recommend anything else.  Thanks

Back to the top
Welcome John2786, I guess you have a carburettor car?
As long as you service the car yearly with new oil and filters including fuel filter change the ignition system (HT leads, spark plugs etc) every couple of years.

Keep an eye on the fuel filler neck and clean the trapped mud from around it underneath the wheel arch if you do use the car on muddy wet roads.

Mines a daily drive and I used to commute to work 250 miles a week so the car is now at 323,000 miles and in the 25 years I've been using the car I've not needed the AA or RAC so they can be very reliable if looked after.
I don't really trust many garages as sometimes older cars seem to confuse them as it's not got a port to plug in their laptop so the car tells them what's wrong so I do all the work myself.

There is some good garages out there so if looking for one ask on here and someone should be able to help or get your overalls on, spanners out and give it a go yourself, we are here if you need help  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks Mark
The advice is much appreciated i think i am going to give it ago myself as suggested doesn't look to complicated.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.