Skip navigation

Fuel Gauge

Back to the top

Fuel Gauge stuck

Hi all… my fuel gauge is stuck in 1 position any help on what could be the probem? Thanks in advance..
Jamie

Back to the top
Year and model would be nice to know as well as where it is stuck left right middle?

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Sorry… it's a 83 GTI 

Back to the top
Remove and check the fuel gauge sender in the fuel tank has not got stuck or the float has fell off.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
The fuel sender is underneath the back seats, if you remove them you will see a circular disc/plate. this houses the sender which works on a float mechanism that moves up and down with amount of fuel. It can get stuck or even fall off, or the connectors from the wires that attach can fail. Would give this a look at first.

Back to the top
How to remove your fuel sender Disregard all the intank pump stuff as it is for 85-93 Cabriolets.

1984.5-1993 mk1 How to change your in-tank fuel pump | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

repairing your sending unit
Repairing your Fuel Sending Unit | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

how-to improve cluster grounds.
Improving your Cluster Connections and ground. | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

If your float is Holed, then drain it, and locate the hole, you can repair t with epoxy putty, after draining the insides, and cleaning the area to be repaired.  You will want to use a fuel resistant epoxy putty or liquid.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Sorry I didn't reply to the messages.. all sorted thanks for help 👍🏻
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.