Skip navigation

Convertible hunter

Back to the top

Hello all,

New member to the site, I'm currently not an owner yet but I'm actively searching, have three on my radar.

I was a Classic Mini owner before, first project car before you start :lol: these types of site are brilliant for support, knowledge, help and banter. Have always loved the classic VW so I think its time to get involved.

Hopefully I can get one of the three I'm looking at and then become a real member of this group.

Look forward to getting into this next project.

Cheers,

Ollie

1989 Paprika Red 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

Back to the top
Welcome Ollie 55 and hope you find a cabriolet.
I started in “classic” minis”, they was the only minis around  when I had mine as the BMW had not made them yet… loved my mini as it was my 1st car but rust took hold so it had to go.

You will find more room in the engine bay when working on the Mk1 Golf and the cabriolets are fairly good at not rusting away if they have been looked after.

Are you looking at fuel injected cars or carburettor ones?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi Mark,

Well they are the real mini in my eyes, as it was my first project I just jumped in with both feet…which was careless because they would of gone through the passenger foot well if I had actually done that but hey ho. Enjoyed that project and time for another.

I have one with a Weber carb on, one standard injection and one with bike carbs on. I'm not really fused either way, unless people advise to steer clear of one of these?
The bike carbs i think would need more tinkering?! but that's part of a project right? ;)Looking forward to that engine bay space :lol: two of the cars I have my eye on seem to have good bodies, no real rust. Surface bubbles on one but I can deal with that.

Back to the top
Well I went and did it.

My first convertible Golf purchased and collected today…lovely British weather for it!

I'll be starting tomorrow by stripping the interior out and inspecting in further detail.

Will take some pictures and show what I'm dealing with.

Last edit: by Ollie 55

Back to the top
Good news Ollie 55, start up a project thread when you can.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi Mark I will start a new thread today!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.