Skip navigation

Investment idea for 1990 Golf Clipper Cabrio

Back to the top
I've recently purchased a 1990 MK1 Golf Clipper Cabrio 1.8L (90HP model) with the electric roof and I was wondering if it would be a worthwhile investment. I spent roughly £1000 on this car, and it has 1220 miles on the clock. It's been off the road for 10 years sitting in a garage and as far as I'm aware everything on it is original. The underbody is in immaculate condition for a 30-year-old car but there are small bits of rust on the body and it would most likely need a respray. The interior would also probably need some restoration.

I'm just looking for an opinion for whether I would be better off selling the car or investing some money into it for keeping or maybe selling. Thanks :)

Back to the top
You will be kickingyourselfinthearselaterifyousellit.
1200 miles, and 30 . years old?  

Unheard of.
Must either be really special as that what 400 miles per decade?/// if it is true and cab be verified, then hold it as the prices over there are through the roof…. and well I would suspect a broken speedo that was replaced and the miles weren't matched up.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
without pic.jpeg

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Can't really judge without more details on what work is likely, and whether that mileage is genuine. It might even be a typo.

Back to the top
That was a typo, my bad. I meant to put 120k instead of 1200. I've got some photos of the car that I can attach.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
You won't make your money back but that's true of pretty much all Mk1s - you'd own it because you like the car and its not boring, its a bit of a hobby etc.

If you just want money then just sell it as-is. Plenty of hopeful people might buy it.

Back to the top
ermmm, eeerrr,

If you wanted a mK1 to drive and use I'd sell and look for something better.

If you wanted a money pit project you've done well.

If you wanted to invest the £ in an old(er) car look for a £1000 Y reg BMW mini

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Looks like it's spent the last 10 years with its backside hanging outside whilst the rest was undercover but otherwise doesn't look too bad.    A few things need sorting - respray for sure - but it doesn't look terrible.   You can probably afford to spend £2k on it and still make some money, spend £3k and keep it and you've got yourself a good solid looking car.   

Depends how you define an investment really 

Back to the top
Looks in similar condition to my clipper.

I've probably spent £1500 already on mine and there's still the repaint to do…

For some reason the tin tops and caddy's seem to be valued at double what a similar condition Cabrio is, so imho the Cabrios are not great investments…

Back to the top
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That is not the car I was expecting from the first post!

I'm afraid I'm going to be brutally honest here, it's a wreck. If you want to MOT it and drive it about as is then crack on. It'll be a bit of fun and cheap summer runner.

If you want it immaculate, sell it and buy another. You'll never get your time and money back out of it.

I know cos I bought one in a similar condition. Have a look through my Clive thread for some of the dreaded rubbish you'll find.

I like basket case projects as I always feel I have to save them. But even i'd think twice.  :o

Good luck

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That is not the car I was expecting from the first post!

…..

I like basket case projects as I always feel I have to save them. But even i'd think twice.  :o

Ian

Yep if that has 1200 in 30 years, then I am The President of the World…..

Little too much road wear, and it isn't as immaculate as one would suspect for that mileage…1000 pounds not bad for a total rebuilder.  The Drivers seat bolster should of told you that the speedo was off, let alone the under the bonnet condition…

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Congrats on your purchase of the 1990 MK1 Golf Clipper Cabrio! Sounds like a really cool car with some character. As for your question, it really depends on what your goals are with the car.
If you're just looking for a fun ride and don't care about making a profit, then investing some money into restoring it could be a worthwhile expense. It could be a great way to keep the car in top shape and get some enjoyment out of it. Plus, restoring it could potentially increase its value over time.
Regardless of what you choose to do, it's always a good idea to consult with a financial advisor, such as The Finity Group, to help you make informed decisions about your investments.

Last edit: by alfredohubbard

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.