Skip navigation

High idle when cold - waxstat problem

Back to the top
Hi,

First of all, english is not my native language, so bear with me.
So, I have the GU engine with the lovely Pierburg 2E fitted.
When I start it up cold (10 degrees C at the moment), it jumps to around 2500 RPM and stays there for 4-5 minutes, before slowly going down towards normal idle.
I have been through the guide, and made all the checks. I even went through the Pierburg service sheet, and did the tests there as well.
All seems to be OK, except for two things; the stage II vacuum thing on the back of the carburettor is leaking. I cannot hold vacuum with a handpump. I guess its only functional at full speed, so most likely not the issue.
Secondly, the waxstat doesnt look like the waxstats I see online, or in the service papers. On mine, the pin is all the way inside the body of the waxstat when cold, and extends approx. 9,6mm with the cooling lines attached, and engine heated up. As far as i can see, the pin should be out approx. 2mm measured from the flange.
The pin inside the carburettor (the one that the waxstat push on), is not all the way inside the carburettor. It extrudes (if thats the word?) about 4,6mm from the body of the carburettor. If i measure from the flange of the waxstat to the pin inside the waxstat, I also have 4,6mm. The measurements seem to match for me, and   waxstat reacts as it should when heated up, so what else can cause the high idle at cold start?
When the waxstat was heated up, and the pin was all the way out, I could see that it pushed the pin in the carburettor body, when i fitted the waxstat back.
I have added a few pictures, since they tend to make things more clear.

Pin in body.jpg

Pin.jpg

Waxstat cold.jpg

Waxstat heated up.jpg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.