Skip navigation

Elec window motors

Back to the top
Hi all I'm hoping somebody can help me. Iv searched high and low and can't find a replacement front drivers window motor for my 86 cabriolet. Iv found some that look very similar but are not a direct replacement. Even typing the part number in isn't coming up with anything. Iv had both mechs out and the 2 I have are slightly different so I'm totally stuck now. Am I looking for a specific motor or are there universal one's that will fit as the mech does all the work the motor just has to turn it? Iv attached some photos if anyone could shed a bit of light on it for me that would be great, the one in my hand is the dead one, the other is the passenger motor and the other photo is showing them side by side to show the bust one is slightly wider and slightly shorter.
Cheers Gaz   8B140C2A-F98F-4D0D-809A-F7DA84F58055.jpeg 6A642EEF-CB7A-4614-8088-8A7921CE6266.jpeg AB17A442-C4DB-4294-A8C1-C8CC927785C4.jpeg 354B0D5A-25DE-4779-B261-C6AC04422861.jpeg

Back to the top
Have a read through this post I made on the Mk2 Golf Forum…

http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=47872

In my case it was 'sticky' bushes inside the motor, might be your issue also. If so a cheap and easy fix.

Failing that check out the politecnica80.com website… 54021 corresponds to one of their VW Cabrio window kits.

https://www.politecnica80.com/en/electric-window-lifters-products/optional/

Back to the top
hahaha thats me there too.... sorted and working ..

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply, I'll check that out when I get home hopefully that's all it is. 

Back to the top
Iv took the motor out and the bushes look to have loads left in them and are reaching where they need to be. Iv continuity tested between both terminals to both bushed and they bell out so that's about as far as I can go with my knowledge. Does anyone know of any other checks I can do or am I just looking for a new motor. 
Cheers 

Back to the top
did you grease it up and retry? or is it dead? clean motor windings with dry cloth/electrical cleaner..

The ones you have look aftermarket so will probably have gone bust or bought by someone else..  but similar way all kits work, so its a case of new stuff of ebay, and then add the parts that come, maybe need to adjust cut the connection only, and connect chocolate box style

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
There's what appears to be a complete new kit on eBay.de…

https://www.ebay.de/itm/NEU-Fensterheber-Nachrustsatz-elektrisch-vorne-fur-VW-Golf-1-Cabrio-Fensterheber/264316199212?hash=item3d8a79212c:g:bAIAAOSwO-Zc1GRE

Has the code 5054021 which I'm guessing is the full set up as the Politecnica site sequentially gives the individual window mechanism as 4854021 for the left and the right as 4954021.

https://www.politecnica80.com/Media/assets/3989/54021.pdf

The manufacturing date, according to the box sticker of the one above is mid 2017 so perhaps they still provide kits for the Cabrio, the company still exists and seems to be a major producer.

If you search eBay.co.uk using either 'Politecnica' or 'Opzional' it throws up a few bits at more sensible prices though none are directly Cabrio related… perhaps the motors are universal regardless of the part numbers or what vehicles the mechanisms are intended for, might be worth checking the images?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opzional-4942071SCM-Renault-Laguna-2-01-01-Right-Front-Door-Power-Window-Kit/123729028892?hash=item1cced3271c:g:WNoAAOSw3WZZyB0N

Some of the UK hits are for Eurocarparts, they seem to stock the latest Opzional versions (inc. Cabrio?). If one was near you they might even open a box to let you compare motors.

Back to the top
Thanks for all the help people, Iv stripped the motor back down, cleaned, regreased and it's only gone and bloody worked!!!! Only thing is Iv had to tie a little piece of cotton round it to secure the bushes. I'm not sure what holds them in place as they just sort of sit there at the moment so I think there weren't connecting properly. No spring on the back or anything like that. I'm obviously guna ditch the cotton and come up with something better but at least I know it's worth messing with.

Thanks again Gaz 

Back to the top
Brilliant... Thanks for the update. Good original post, plenty of info. and pics. makes all the difference!

Back to the top
Iv put the whole door back together tonight all fitted in nicely and with a fully working smooth window operation thanks again for all the help people. Iv just gota choose a button location now. Iv got a blank for the console with cutouts and the switched but I want to fit gauges, any ideas/photos on different locations for the window buttons would be appreciated. It was going really well till I scratched the piece of metal that fits behind the quarter window getting it back in so that's come back out for a repaint 😡 I'll tape it up next time I fit it to try and protect it. I can't find another way of fitting back in without a bit of force. Again Iv done some reading and that is how it is by the sounds of it. 

Back to the top
sorry to hijack but does anyone know what the little component  on the brush holder is. i have got continuity up to that but not sure what it is. says microtherm on it but no other markings, mine has 1 touch up and down but think the relay has gone as does not stop when fully up or down. this is on my audi 80 with exact same motor as the mk2 golf

Back to the top
Hi mate, are u talking about the little red thing in my 1st pic? I'm wasn't 100% sure what it was when I was doing mine so don't hold me to it but I'm guessing it's some sort of protection/fuse/thermal cut out for the window motor. Does a wire from the connection point go to it then one back out to one of the brushes? I tested for continuity across the 2 cables going to mine and it belled out so mine is good. Do the same and if it doesn't bell then would assume whatever it is it's blown? Everything I just said could be completely wrong tho so sorry if it is, don't hold me to any of it 😂 I also put 12v directly to the back of the brushes and the motor spun so I knew the motor was good I just had to get power to the brushes somehow. Turns out my brushes were JUST not making contact. Nothing a couple of old lighter springs soldered on behind them couldn't fix. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.