Skip navigation

88 clipper project

Back to the top
Like I have said . This will never be a show car - it's not what I wanted when I got it .
Just a nice tidy car to bring back a few memories from when we had one 20 years ago . 
I'm just trying to tidy it up a bit . I needed to get rid of the rust in the slam panel and also the bumper needed doing as it had microblisters . But the wings will keep there stone chips as will the bonnet etc . 

The only person that needs to like it is me . That's real important to me . Build something I like  - not for others . 

Back to the top
5DA46095-73F6-428D-B6E9-A7845DED15A3.jpeg A bit more done 
Drivers side sill and rear arch cleaned - prepped - masked and painted in base coat 
Forgot the before pictures on this one but it had rubbed through on the edge of the sill where people had got into the car and white primer was showing through .
The rear arch needed doing purely as I am putting new decals on and wanted to get rid of stone chips in this area 

On to the passenger side - just rear arch in this one I hope . 
I would like to get painting done today so I can play when I get my wheels in the morning . 
Just hope I can get them to fit as I want 🙏

Back to the top
48DBAD99-24B6-4F8B-84B1-D484E9F78B3C.jpeg 6C9B2237-9BB1-426E-A791-9AF3712A30AD.jpeg ]

Base coat on passenger rear and on number plate thing for the front 

Back to the top
1C64D9E8-5BAF-4C98-9EC0-541550F05A67.jpeg BDF78B98-0D3B-4181-9870-AC98C3DFDAEA.jpeg

Clear coat on all the bits and unmasked . 
Hope it settles a bit as it dries as it's a bit bright at the moment . Hopefully it's just the pigment being pulled out under the lighting . 
Off to get wheels first thing so it will be dry enough to move about when I get back .
I just hope they fit !!! 

Back to the top
Looks fresh, although the original paint is no lacquer so will always be a slight difference in how it looks i guess

Also noticing in the pic, looks like  your waistline trims are fitted on the wrong sides
The fat bit should be at the top i believe, might just be the angle of the photo but appears they are

Back to the top

One seven one said

Looks fresh, although the original paint is no lacquer so will always be a slight difference in how it looks i guess

Also noticing in the pic, looks like  your waistline trims are fitted on the wrong sides
The fat bit should be at the top i believe, might just be the angle of the photo but appears they are

Never noticed the side trim - and I wouldn't know if it's right or wrong to be honest . 
But I'm not taking it all off and redoing it so it's like that for good 
Paint will die down a bit I'm sure as they all do but I'm aware OG was solid colour - I just prefer clear and base as that's what I use 99% of the time 

Back to the top
Picked up my wheels - but was too late to get adapters from post office so the big fit up will have to wait . 
Not earth shattering or particularly sought after wheels but I love them .
Porsche 928 winter kults . If they don't fit in this they can go on one of my other cars  08B9609D-15CC-4DA3-A577-DF4CBCA117BB.jpeg

Back to the top

88 clipper project

Love the wheels mate there pure class .are you spraying the whole car ? I'd love to be in your position. I'd have the lot done

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
image.jpg

Deano777 said

Love the wheels mate there pure class .are you spraying the whole car ? I'd love to be in your position. I'd have the lot done

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm not spraying the whole car - just a few bits .
As I said I needed to do the slam panel as it needed repair and the front bumper was full
Of micro blisters - the drivers sill had rubbed where people get in and out and I did rear arch covers as I'm putting new decals on there . 
The rest will stay as it is . 
It's just a driver - nothing special I'm afraid and when you get into painting it properly it takes weeks .
The last car if my own I painted I had over 300 hours in it by the time it was put back together . 
That's around 15k of work . So on a car worth a fraction of that it's just not worth it . 
I got the car because my wife and I owned one 20 years ago and we have a sentimental attachment to a time before kids etc . It's a bit deeper than that but won't go into that here . But that's the only reason we have one I'm afraid . 

Front end starting to go back together . Also new hoses - clamps - filter -
Plugs 

Back to the top
Love the porsche winters 👍🏻 

I have seen the trims fitted both ways to be fair, mine were the same way as yours are but it toyed with my ocd lol

Im going to shoot old school paint on mine, pretty much in the same areas you have, probs both bumpers, lower front panel, rear valence 
Might do lower part of the tailgate too

Same as its a bomber that the roof comes off thats a cool little car not a show winner im seeking 

Look forward to seeing the wheels on it 

Back to the top

One seven one said

Love the porsche winters 👍🏻   Look forward to seeing the wheels on it 

So am I to be honest - need to get them on and get tyres sorted then I can work out my lows 

Back to the top
image.jpg
Started fit up . Grill back in .
Done all fuel lines - vapour separator - fuel filter . Air filter - oil and filter . Leads plugs , dizzy cap and rotor as well as clutch cable and accelerator cable - both had run out of newness . 

Wheels are here along with adapters at last , so can be offered up 
30 mm spacers front and rear here - May drop to 20 at front as wheel is a bit proud IMHO 
Need to get the spacers ordered and then do my suspension - looking at a mild 30mm drop just to loose a bit if arch gap . So probably springs as I think coilovers will give me too much . I don't want to cut or roll arches .
I will let it settle overnight and see what it looks like in the morning . 26624D4F-76F8-4E28-8F1C-87FDB63C2C32.jpeg 399C3914-A2E1-46A0-82E2-8AD3173E961C.jpeg 4A51DD3E-FE67-4E84-B8FD-114276ADC278.jpeg 4281D718-F229-4FEB-9EC8-F6CEDC9FA721.jpeg
Once I'm happy with the set up the wheels will be fully polished here at the workshop 

Back to the top
Starting to flat and polish paint today - as I hoped it's calmed down a bit and is pretty close 
9D41FB37-B129-439E-926F-D39FA87B663B.jpeg
This is rear arch cover - ready for new transfers 

Back to the top
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

So - other than a quick polish I guess that's about it . I will leave the suspension and see if it settles a bit if not then I will lower it a small amount 
I've tried to put the decals on the rear arches and have mucked it up a few times so as it gets such little use I will probably leave them off - unless anyone local fancies popping in to do them for me ? 
Thanks to those that have got involved in my little build and if you see me around come and say hello . 
I'm at Caffiene and Machine a lot at the weekends and normally try to see the various mk1s that are there . 
Not normally in this though so if you see me in one if my other chariots then come and say hello 
1BDCF5B7-9DBF-450A-AA27-B5583ABB5919.jpeg 17B99710-6CDE-42E1-9C37-A03B5FAD5366.jpeg 5F07AC62-BED7-4EEE-949A-E4CD0BF3450A.jpeg

Back to the top
Well thats looking good now, 👌🏼

As for the decals, did you use slightly soapy water and hairdryer/head gun method to apply them? 

Thats the Best way to do them, bucket of warm slightly soapy water, peel them off backing, dunk them, align on car squeegee any bubbles or water behind, apply some light heat 

Jobs a goodun 👍🏻

Nice cars, is that a 356? 

Back to the top

One seven one said

As for the decals, did you use slightly soapy water and hairdryer/head gun method to apply them? 

Thats the Best way to do them, bucket of warm slightly soapy water, peel them off backing, dunk them, align on car squeegee any bubbles or water behind, apply some light heat 

Jobs a goodun 👍🏻

Thanks and yes - 1963 356 Sc  - matching numbers car - the Carrera GT isn't mine though 

Back to the top
Saw that 356 at Stanford Hall in May, very nice indeed.

The Golf has come up a treat…

What that extra nut doing on the front strut mount?

Those front mounts look like they are at the end of there life as when new the metal plate sits on the rubber…
Avoid Meyle top mounts as I've had a set fail in 6 months and 4 months of that the car was off the road! Febi are better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK1-1-8-GTI-Variant1-Genuine-Febi-Front-Top-Strut-Mount-Shock-Absorber/352286911178?fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item5205efaaca:g:pdwAAOSwXsFajMwA

Might be something to replace if/when you change the front springs/suspension..   :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

jon65deluxe said

One seven one said

Jobs a goodun 👍🏻

Thanks and yes - 1963 356 Sc  - matching numbers car - the Carrera GT isn't mine though 

Wow thats a rare old thing! Very cool car

Id rather have the 356 than the gt any day 😂

Back to the top

One seven one said

Wow thats a rare old thing! Very cool car

Id rather have the 356 than the gt any day 😂

I'd rather have the carrera GT to be honest - but I'd sell it for 3/4 if a million and buy another couple of 356s 

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Saw that 356 at Stanford Hall in May, very nice indeed.

Good of his Wife to let him drive it and have his initials on it!

There are too many online users to list.