Skip navigation

My Campaign waiting on resto #3

Back to the top
New to this forum so said I'd throw up a photo and a little bit of info, will need some advice along the way from the more experienced mk1 heads.

I have a Lhasa green campaign which i bought back in 2007 when i was still in college. It came with a folder of receipts and photos from a restoration in 2001 but after 6yrs of daily use it needed some more work. Firstly, the ats cups weren't going to stay, luckily it came with its 5 pslots and the coveted centre caps. I put on a new front panel and front wings, repaired outer sills, doors and rear valance. Through the NCT  and away i went for the summer of 07 as a daily driver. Winter 07 brought a modern jap import and the golf was parked only to make an appearance for a couple of shows. The recession made resale values pathetic so it was left in different sheds unloved but started regularly until now.

The knock on affect of these 10yrs is rust. Mechanically it is a great car, starts first turn and runs like a clock thanks to a full engine rebuild in 01. The only real issues now are siezed brakes etc. Bodywise, im looking at a rear panel, arches, possibly sparewheel tub, outer sills, filler neck and 1/4 panel filler plate. and rear chassis legs.

So now you know why i'll need help with some questions over the next 2-3yrs probably. I'm going to be realistic with the timeframe because the one beside it is being done this winter, not as much to weld on that one!

Some vagdrivers forum members might remember this from the for sale section when i tried selling

20181006_121251.jpg

20181007_143033.jpg

20181007_142941.jpg

20181007_143002.jpg

20181007_142933.jpg

Last edit: by RustyCampaign

Back to the top
Hi and welcome to the forum!

It looks like it was a well cared for car and good jobf or letting it go in the recession!

At some stage they will all need some body work.

I can help you with rear arches, filler neck and a couple of the body panels depends on what you really need. I also have a good bit of the mk1 trim needed etc.

I am based outside Kilkenny and we have a healthy mk1 Ireland region with regular meets and links at shows etc. Welcome to link in and get involved.

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top

Shughy said

I can help you with rear arches, filler neck and a couple of the body panels depends on what you really need. I also have a good bit of the mk1 trim needed etc.

Thanks i'll keep that in mind when i start into it. The annoying thing is i also had a genuinely mint 1.1 2door rolling shell that didnt need any welding that i had to sell, for 300euro! A lad from carbury bought it, i hope it didnt go to waste

Back to the top
Looks like a great starting point.  You've certainly come to the right place, the amount of help and advice on this forum is the best around.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Back to the top
OK so I've made the decision to sell the car. Yet again its in the back corner of a garage with little chance of being restored any time soon. My question is, what is a complete  and original spec Campaign needing full restoration worth? Mechanically the engine is perfect after a full rebuild in 2001and started every month or so since it came off the road. The downfall is the underside. It needs a good bit of welding but all the panels it needs are available from VW heritage so I'm guessing its not the only one to rust where it has

Back to the top
If this was 6 months ago I'd have snapped that up, bought a Lhasa Green project myself (not a Campaign though).

Regards value, would need more pics of the body condition but as a starting point, I've seen some recent Campaigns on eBay needing resto sell for between £6-9k.

Back to the top
PM,d

Back to the top
So I've seen sense…..I can't bring myself to part with it so I'm going to have to restore it properly this time.

The plan is to strip it to an almost bare shell. Weld up a rollover jig and get the underside blasted to see whats left. Rear axle mounts are shot so I need to be careful and brace these somehow before blasting, I'm hoping whats left is something I can repair myself. Any suggestions on what's the best way to keep the locations of the bolts ?

Once its blasted its going to be a case of zinc prime it to seal the metal temporarily, weld it, wire brush it, epoxy primer, shutz and paint it. Then sort the engine bay and running gear, reassemble a rolling/driving shell. Then send for a full respray when funds are there

Back to the top
good luck on you adventure   :thumbs:

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
Good luck with it mate and cant wait to see it done.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.