Skip navigation

1.3 VW golf MK1 engine swap

Back to the top

Need help

Hi I've just bought a MK1 golf 1.3 and i think the engine gearbox and clutch is on its way out. Thinking of doing a complete swap. What's the easiest engine conversation and where can I source one from?

Back to the top
Welcome along!

Yours is a small block car and small blocks rock! After all it's what the golf was always supposed to have.

If you want to change to a big block (1.5 to 1.8) you'll have to cut off the drivers side engine mount and re weld into the big block position.

However if you chose the best route of staying small block then there are  number of options.

But first, why do you think the engine, box and clutch are all on the way out? The small blocks are pretty bomb proof tbh!

Have a look at the polo forums and face book pages as the golf's small block engine is the same as the engines in the polo's up until the 6N shape around 96ish I think.

Which gives you
1272cc
1272cc GT
1272 G40 (charged engine)
1400 16v Dohc engine

All can be fitted with bike carbs or twin carbs for more power.

Gear boxes can also be lifted from the mk2 and mk2f (or mk3 if you prefer) and there is a choice of 5 speed boxes either with close ratio or long Ratios to suit you engine choice.

I have. 1272 engine in my Derby on twin carbs and I reckon its around 80ish bhp and I have. 1400 twin cam 16v on bike carbs in my tin top and it ran 147 on the dyno. (link in my sig 'mynx' if you're bored)

If you want any help on small blocks either myself or Roach can give you some help.

If you go with a 18 turbo or something else big block there is loads of advice on here.

Good luck

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Listen to Ian…. dude knows his shizzz. 

I'm drunk but call me. ;)

Back to the top
Okay guys cheers for the advice. I'll stick with the small block. The reason I think the gearbox is on its way out is due to the fact it keeps randomly popping out of gear and it's hard to get into gear. As for the clutch every time I put the clutch down to change gear the revs shoot up even though my foots not on the accelerator. Ive only owned a MK1 for a few days and previously have a 2011 fiesta so I might just be paranoid as it's completely different to drive I don't know. What do you think?

Back to the top
Yup it'll be a bit different from your Fiesta to say the least!  :lol:   :thumbs:

Hmmm.

The popping out of gear randomly is an odd one. I must admit my current gear box does that in 5th after she's done about 60 mile on the motorway without changing gear. It then will do it more and more often. I know my box needs a re-build as it's also getting difficult to get into first. Sounds very similar to yours in fact!

Finding another one shouldn't be too hard and there are guys out there that could re-build it if you so desired but I'd go with a 5 speed if you spend any time at all out on the motorways as it's just a but nicer.

I'm going to give these guys a ring and see if they can help me out at some point when I finally get around to it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SKODA-SEAT-17mm-wheel-bolt-only-GEARBOXES-ENGINES-MOST-CODES-COVERED/272431173421?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Picking up a unwarranted 5 speed box should be possible for between £50 and £100 or so off ebay or facebook.

You try changing the gear box oil for a start but it probably won't make any difference.

As for the rise in revs when you change gear. Sounds like you idle may be set high. Hence why as soon as the engine is unloaded it revs up. Alternatively the choke may be on (I'm assuming you have a choke and you put it in once the car is up to temperature  :dry: )as it may be sticking.

I see yuo're in the South West. Whereabouts are you? There may be someone who knows of a local garage that might be able to assist in setting the carb up for you.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
The 1272 Mk3 polo gt engine was fantastic (75bhp)

Felt a lot more powerful than it was and although the g40 engine was extremely fun in my case at least it was quite fragile

1.4 16v 100bhp is good if you don't mind it being revvy as its not a bottom end power delivery type of engine

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
G60

Back to the top

nas said

G60

Lol. 

Did you read the question?

Back to the top
I didn't buddy sorry i just thought I would throw that in lol

Back to the top
Change the gearbox oil 1st as it's very often over looked and never changed.

Worth the few £s to see if it makes any difference….  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi guys,

perfect thread! :) I want to do a 1.4 16v swap, and I have some questions:

Can I buy engine without acceroies? I mean alternator etc.. It is hard to find this engine, and I dont know what I will need from AFH engine, and what is possible to have from my GF engine, or other engines… I definitely go with Bike carbs. So dont bother with electronics, injection and so on. Just need to know, what I will have to do with ignition? Will the original Polo 6N dizzy work? Or I must go for MK2 one? What about alternator? Will I threw up a MK1 one, or I will need the Polo 6N one, or any else? Some more thinks to do?

Thanks a lot for any answer/solution/idea :)

Back to the top

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
and to answer you questions direct

You can buy the engine without the anciliaries as you don't need the power steering pump or the alternator and all the injection stuff. However you do need all the plastics and these are really hard to find so if you can, try to get them with the engine!

You'll need the alternator from the golf or a polo as you'll be using the drivers side engine mount from the golf engine and so the alternator is a direct fit.

You'll need the pulley from the AFH alternator though and there's a bit of jiggery pokery to make the pulley fit to the golf alternator.

You'll need the specific distributor as it's the only one that'll work with the engine and the golf ignition control module. Wiring the two together is fairly easy though.

If you're bored check out my Mynx thread for inspiration  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Oh thanks. Perfect Answer, and perfect thread too! Looks that I dont have time for this coversion this winter, As I need to do some body work, and complete drivetrain and brakes too. Just as my engine eating a lot of oil, I think about throw something better to the car, Best option for me is a Polo GT engine, but I am looking one month for the engine, and didnt found any in our country. Seems to me, If I will not find any reliable engine for easy throw in, I will do a complete GF engine rebuild with bike carbs and will postpone the AFH swap to the next year as I will be sure that I have everything I need. The case is, that I dont want to ligthen the original flywheel, port and polish the original head, etc., as I want to have the original loom for the future with no modifications. Is possible to throw in a 1.3 MK2 polo / MK2 Golf engine? As I can do any modification on this engine without  "destroying" the original GF one. For example will the AZ engine fit? As I can have it for few buck in my town. Sorry that I spaming this thread, but It is lot of usable information for me here, and also borednow , you are helping me a lot. Thanks!!

Back to the top
OH, and I also forgot that I can have a pretty good individual ignition ECU for a realable price made by one Company in our country which developing this systems for racing and so on. So I think there is no need for the specific Dizzy from MK2, and I can use the AHF one? Is this true?

Back to the top
Any small block (1300cc) engine will fit, whether from a polo or a mk2 golf.

Should just be a case of putting it in and wiring it up and it should go fine. I assume you have a 1300cc engine in the car already? If not then make sure you get the ignition module from the car you'll be getting the engine from as I would imagine the modules will be slightly different. I'm not 100% sure on this however, it may be that any will work fine.

If you want to use an ECU then you'll need some sort of throttle position sensor or trigger sensor on the crank pulley so the ECU knows whats going on. It's not impossible to do but gets a bit more complicated. If you're not using injection there is no need for an ECU hence why people use bike carbs and no ECU. But that would allow you to run the AFH dizzy.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thanks a lot! :) So I will go with NZ engine for now, with bike carbs and some other modifications, and we will see, Then there will be much more time to do proper rebuilded AFH swap :) Thanks a lot again!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.