Skip navigation

My first Golf - 82' gti Black

Back to the top

Bought my first golf and going to keep track of what I'm doing on this :)

Not updated this in a while…

Ive not managed to get alot of work done since but i have been slowly picking away at it.

Ive managed to get 3 panels on since the last update started off with the passenger side rear chassis rail. easy enough. been paying around with setting on the welder and figured out a good setting to do buttwelds as before it kept blowing holes in the metal so everythings alot easier now  :lol:  wish i figured out these settings at the start

there was a few repairs that needed done before this went in such as a hole in the floor so i plated that before it went in.

and also the lip it attaches to in the wheel well was crusty so I chopped that out before too. i just left lots of extra material there so i can trim it down one all is said and done (not got any photos of this, just whats chopped out)

Next i moved onto the rear corners.

The first side i done looked compleatly different behind the panel so i think im going to have to make a blanking panel to make it match the otherside. I didnt realise till i finished that side then moved over to the other side.
 1st side-

2nd side-

Going to do the lower rear panel next. my plan is to weld it behind where the bumper sits so you dont see the join and ill stone chip the lower section then put a coat of the same paint that the body is painted to its a perfect match

Back to the top
Very impressed with the fabrication and welding Mark!

Back to the top
Got the rear panel on and everything tied in so its all welded up. this took alot longer than I thought, totally lost motivation for it recently…

I was having trouble with the welding on the rear too as when welding new steel in the welds would get holes in them not sure whats causing this, I'm thinking that the metal that was used for the rear pressings is a rubbishy type of steel or something I'm not sure  O_o  only seemed to do it on the rear panel and the wheel well… maybe its just a different grade of steel to the new stuff thats getting welded to it?
So alot of grinding and rewelding was required to get rid of all the holes to make it a solid weld.

Next task will be the passenger side chassis rail where the axle mounts to (not looking forward to this job :lol: )

hopefully i find some motivation before i start it cos the otherside was a pig of a job

Back to the top

My first Golf - 82' gti Black

Meet your mate totally fell out with my cabriolet mate just cannot get myself going

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
You're doing a great job there!  I remember all those long dark days cutting out and welding in new metal…. but trust me its well worth it once its all painted.  Keep up the great work.

Back to the top

cdgthreesalmons said

You're doing a great job there!  I remember all those long dark days cutting out and welding in new metal…. but trust me its well worth it once its all painted.  Keep up the great work.

Cheers mate, the day will come soon hopefully next summer so I can get it back on the road, its been over a year now :lol:

Back to the top
Wow, what a project. Keep going, can't wait to see it finished!

Back to the top
Still picking away at it although progress is slow…
Got the rear panel all finished…. almost.
got it all fully welded then filled and painted it.

After the paint dried I seen some small indents where I have welded up holes I drilled in the panel and if I don't fix this now it'll drive me mad once its done!

I also wasn't happy with the paint that was on it as it was not very glossy and was not a good colour match either so I've ordered some new 2K stone chip that's the same paint code as the rest of the car. Just aswell because I forgot to weld on the bracket that ties in the back panel to the spare wheel well  :lol:  I've still to apply this but its all rubbed down ready for it to go on but I think ill paint the fuel tank in this paint too so I'm holding off.

Back to the top
Now onto some more welding. its been a lot bigger of a job than I first thought when i initially stripped the underseal off. On the plus side thats me about 90% done on the welding side of things.
These are the bits ive been tackling over the past few months.

Just the other front chassis panel to do then the welder will be packed away out of sight until I start my mk2 Project if I ever get round to it!

Just need to clean up all the welds and then paint the underside then I can start to build it back up and then hopefully it starts first turn of the key

Back to the top
Finally finished all the metal work

cleaned up all the welds and now onto the next jobs….

Back to the top
Cleaned up the fuel tank and inspected the inside for rust but it looks brand new inside

I used the paints I'm using on the underside on the fuel tank to see how it turns out. Im pleased with the outcome on the fuel tank

Back to the top
Now back onto the underside…

I started off with scuffing the whole of the underside again with 60grit sandpaper to give it a good key for the paint to stick then degreased.

startred off with 3 coats of the rust encapsulating primer

I then applied a 2k filler primer over where I'm applying seam sealer as I had an issue with the rust encapsulating primer reacting with my seam sealer so I tested it with this method on a scrap bit of metal before doing it on the car and worked perfect

not the tidiest with the sealer but it will all be covered up with the 3 coats of W.A.R coating from buzzweld that I have used. This coating is like a hard wax and has very good reviews. I left it for a week to fully cure before applying the W.A.R coating so I keyed up ready for the top coat

Back to the top
Got the car finished!

I bare metaled the filler neck and other parts to make sure I was happy with the condition of the metal before I painted it

I used Por15 on these as it leaves a smooth finish that's resistant to fuels etc

Replaced the shoes and handbrake cables too while the rear beam was off. i also took the drums to my work and took a small skiff off on the lathe

Applied pollybushes on the rear beam mounts and arb

also ran new fuel lines through out the car. i ran Braided lines from front to back but i did have an issue with one of the pipes as it was faulty :( it was the braided one in the photo below as it wasn't crimped properly and popped off so I'm getting a new one made up for me

Back to the top
Well done fella on finishing it, bet your happy?

Enjoy driving it if the rain ever stops..

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Well done fella on finishing it, bet your happy?

Enjoy driving it if the rain ever stops..

Yeah so so…. had a few teething issues. One of the fuel lines were faulty as one end wasn't crimped properly from the manufacturer and then just on Sunday there the car cut out, I think the fuel pump died but I have a new one coming today.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.