Skip navigation

'91 cabby fuel pumps

Back to the top
Hi guys done some research on the net and not getting the answers I need

My external fuel pump has decided to start buzzing at me and car has cut out a few times even tho reads 1/4 tank of fuel, so I'm guessing it knackered.

I'm going to replace it and while I'm at it I'm going to replace the lift pump and filter as in my eyes no point replacing main pump if the lift could soon fail.

The lift pump seems easy enough to do but what I want to know is if I disconnect the main pump will my tank drain out. Or because I have a lift tank it that that top fed unlike tintops that are bottom fed.  I expect some fuel to spill out but would rather not have 1/4 tank spill out as I only have 3 5litre fuel cans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
It can cause a siphoning effect when you remove the main pump, as it is sucking out of the tank.

There will be spillage from the filter, and the sump/filter/swirlpot what ever you want to call it.

You can eliminate most of it by using hose pinch pliers. they are usually made of plastic and look like a really dull pair of diagonal cutting pliers.

Here is a pair that I have clamped on my home-made-power-brake-bleeder.

If your hose clamps are iffy, then I would suggest that you buy new fuel line clamps which clamp circular and not offset as a screw-type clamp.

If you haven't replaced your in-tank pump (which is usually the issue of the main cutting out and whinning).
Replace the connection hose, if yours is still original then you may have a ah-ha-moment as they deteriorate and hole, or come apart.  IIRC is is 5/16 fuel rated hose for the interconnection.

Gimmies, I usually drop the Screen into the tank and have to retrieve it with magic fingers.  Some days I guess the Gas gods aren't with me.  But I have come up with a trick that I will impart.   Take about 3 foot of string and tie the filter on to the pump looping it around the bottom and tieing it on the top.

When you about get the sender seated cut the string on one side and pull it off the assembly easy with no droppage….

Second hint, REMOVE THE GAS CAP.
Third hint no smoking around open fuel, and disconnect the battery.

There is a Single pump conversion out there, you will have an issue when you have less than a 1/4 of a tank, you will see engine starvation issues on a climb or hard turn… The in-tank pump becomes noisier but you hear it running.  You do away with the Swirl pot, external pump and 4 foot of hold brittle hoses…. I suspect you could add another filter to take the place of the swirl pot to build a reserve of sorts to prevent the stalling….

When I did this on one of my Cabriolet's it was 2 weeks before Christmas, and my Daughters who liked to drive on empty and use a couple of gallons of gas burned out 3 in-tank pumps prior to the main one….

How I remove and replace the in-tanks pump.
1984.5-1993 mk1 How to change your in-tank fuel pump | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

My additions to Ron's guidelines.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5519363-A-VERY-big-thank-you-to-Tolusina&highlight=big+thank+you+Tolusina

in-tank conversion.
http://reflectionsandshadows.com/single-pump-conversion/

This is only for Digifant systems, it works, it's Cost effective and it has been over 6 years since I have done this.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

'91 cabby fuel pumps

Fantastic mate cheers exactly what I'm after
You mention the connection pipe is this the one inside the tank or the one that you see when you lift the rear bench that goes to the pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
There are 2 rubber pipes on the Fuel inlet, one as the return from the FPR for over pressure, and one for the fuel pump.
I am specifically talking about the one that connects the Fuel pump to the Fuel inlet pipe (ok it is an outlet)…
Originally this was a 2 part rubber hose that had a metal ring around it for noise suppression.  This gets old and starts to turn to
return to goo, I have seen it break and drop the in-tank, I have seen it blow a hole in the side either way it is better to replace it to eliminate a future need.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.