Skip navigation

Is it possible to remove cabby rear window without damaging the hood or frame?

Back to the top
yes they should work.  Once you have shot the staples, I would coat them with a clear silicone to plug the holes and coat the staples.  The Silicone also acts as a Lube to insert the seal.  

You will need to do the Indian rope trick, and you can do it with one person, but to is a tad easier.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Looking at non-bonding windscreen sealant on eBay. It is listed as 'Butyl, non-drying sealant adhesive'. Is this the correct sealant to be using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

I'm planning to tackle the very leaky, slightly rusty rear window on mine in the next few weeks (fixing the roof while the sun is shining). Before I do, it'd be handy to get some clarification on what's needed.

The plan is to take out the window, give it all a good clean up, paint the rusty bits on the frame, and then put it back in with (possibly) a new rubber seal and silicone in all the right places.

Whats the best way of removing these clips for the heated window and is it possible to get the wiring out from the window rubber?

When I'm cleaning/painting the frame, should I unbolt the supports (those in the picture above)?

And when I'm putting the window back in place, where do I put silicone/sealant? Between the glass and the rubber? Between the stapled bit of the roof and the window rubber? Underneath the rubber window seal from the outside? I'm not quite sure.

Back to the top
Pull the plastic cover off the terminal end, you will see a clip.  Then carefully push the wire through the seal, unwind it from the seal to the other hole and then carefully remove it.

Be careful find SS staples, and oil the window pivots at the window end and the parcel shelf, get them to move easily….

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

OK - that sounds easy enough.

And when I'm putting it back together, where do I need to put sealant/silicone?

Back to the top
Clean the gasket throughly.
Clean any crud out between the fingers of the outer seal, and the inside where the window goes.  I usually use  hot soapy water and a soft scrub brush.  I follow with a good spraying of wd-40….

Over the Staples I use a tad bit of RTV clear for colored hoods, and black for black ones that is I run a thin bead of it over the stables.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Clean the gasket throughly.
Clean any crud out between the fingers of the outer seal, and the inside where the window goes.  I usually use  hot soapy water and a soft scrub brush.  I follow with a good spraying of wd-40….

Over the Staples I use a tad bit of RTV clear for colored hoods, and black for black ones that is I run a thin bead of it over the stables.

WD40 not going to damage the rubber??

Back to the top
Nope wd-40 will loosen or soften the plumbers putty if there and help remove it, it also cleans the seal, I would suggest wearing gloves.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

I've another question: should I put a thin bead of silicone inside the groove on the rubber where the glass goes?

I got a secondhand rubber and cleaned off the crud with GT85. It does the same basic job as WD40. I was once told by a bicycle mechanic that it's better for use on rubber as WD40 contains something that can cause rubber to deteriorate. Gloves are a must - it was pretty gross.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.