Skip navigation

Upgraded engine mounts

Back to the top

20v turbo

Hi guys and girls I'm looking for some upgraded engine mounts for my mk1 20v turbo.

Either Of The self or advice on fabricating my own.

Cheers in advance 😁.

Back to the top
Hi Abfmk1 I have a set of standard ones I'm looking I to getting more firmer ones. But I don't really want to go completely solid.

Back to the top
what setup do you have currently?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Just the normal of the shelf 20v conversion mounts buddy.

Back to the top
sorry i meant bushes, but if you think its the actual brackets that are poor then changing the bushes wont help :lol:

was going to say for my cab i fitted a new diesel bottom mount, a poly front and standard sides that worked great, hardly any engien movement and no vibration. but I only had a 1.8 16v in there so this may not be man enough for you :P

Back to the top
Yes just  standard bushes I am using a poly Bush in the front but the side to are just standard what's the part number for the diesel rear mount please for a link if you have one please and thank you for the info

Back to the top
171399151B for the diesel mount, few on ebay :)

the petrol one is 171399151A for reference.

Back to the top
Cheers buddy I'll have a gander I take it the diesel one is a lot firmer?

Back to the top
its the beefiest oem mount VW do for the mk1 chassis, though saying that theres no telling if the aftermarket ones are actually any better than the petrol versions...

Back to the top
Poly mounts rattle my teeth…. I rode in a Diesel that had them….

The Drivers side mount to yall, is the Passenger side to me, and I have seen a Couple of things done to increase the life of them.

One, was that a gent was filling the centers with 3m window weld, and the other I have been doing since my first mount expired in 1982….

I used to use Sacrificial Sockets at the top to keep the thing from screwing up the shifting when they expire.
But I have since graduated to inserting a "Chunk" out of my old mount in the new.

For the Front mount Grille, I use 2 large fender washers between the mounting cup and the Valance frame to increase the tightness of the Cup to the mount, it reduces the torque loss.

I have been at "WAR" with VW's mounts for years.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi I like your idea there. Well after searching the internet for ideas I have resorted in buying a poly mix to make my own mounts basically you mix it pour it in your existing engine mount and it says hop IMAG0139.jpg efully turns out ok IMAG0140.jpg IMAG0142.jpg IMAG0141.jpg IMAG0143.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.