Skip navigation

Strengthen parcel shelf???

Back to the top
Chaps… I have an original parcel shelf that looks pretty good however the edges that rest on the supports are very bendy. There is also a slight bow to the whole shelf.

how have other people stiffened their shelf? Especially the support edges?

any ideas welcome.

cheers

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top
Someone who had the car before me has cut big 6 x 9 holes in mine :( - I'm on the look out for a new one to and hopefully can get one without a bow in it to !

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top
I made a new one from 6mm exterior ply (B & Q) use the old one as a template, reattached the bars using 15mm copper pipe brackets and drywall plaster screws, grind off the excess screw length, recovered mine in new material as the old material was shot, looks great and only cost a few pounds.
Cheers 

Back to the top
Have a look at Pipsical's build thread, I think he has done something similar with his parcel shelf recently mate.

:thumbs:

Back to the top
thanks for replies chaps….

i should have mentioned i have an original shelf that is slightly bowed and frayed at the edges….. i am thinking something like this along the centre length to sort out the bow….

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/building-materials/materials/builders_metal_work/-specificproducttype-joist_strut/Expamet-Herringbone-Joist-Strut-Zinc-660mm-9273335

and then along the support edges..

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/building-materials/materials/builders_metal_work/Expamet-Heavy-Duty-Zinc-1000-x-27-5-x-5mm-Straight-9273336

Back to the top
I did this to mine, to prevent the edges ripping further.

Back to the top

r_chez_08 said

I did this to mine, to prevent the edges ripping further.

Looks interesting mate. What did you use for the corners?

Back to the top
Acrylic sheet, cut on a laser cutter. 

Back to the top

coxi said

I made a new one from 6mm exterior ply (B & Q) use the old one as a template, reattached the bars using 15mm copper pipe brackets and drywall plaster screws, grind off the excess screw length, recovered mine in new material as the old material was shot, looks great and only cost a few pounds.
Cheers 

Any images of this and the fixings

Back to the top
My how-to's are in my signature, and the link it points to is below.

https://www.volkswagenownersclub.com/threads/remaking-your-cabriolet-parcel-shelf.33293/

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.