Skip navigation

82 Cabriolet S3 TFSI TSR conversion (wide arched)

Back to the top

82 Cabriolet S3 TFSI TSR conversion

Alots changed there since I picked up the wheels!! Hope it all goes well with the primer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl Rowlands

1981 MK1 GTI - 2.0l 16V 9A - SRAD carbs

Ive had to many years of easy motoring so thought id buy a 35 yr old car and see what happens!!!!!

Back to the top

Thanks guys !! I've been back on the bay today trying to strip those hard to reach places i.e. Behind the turrets
 I've pretty much managed to get them done with the help of a heat gun and chisel, and it's not a job that I want to have to do again.  
  I also got the reservoir in place for the clutch master cylinder as well and had a custom "hel" hose made up for it. Forgot to get a photo of the hose, but had it made with the carbon look braid and looks pretty good.
 I did a bit more work behind the turrets after I took the photos.

Back to the top

karl9779 said

Alots changed there since I picked up the wheels!! Hope it all goes well with the primer!!

It's starting to get there now mate. How's yours coming along ?

Back to the top

It's coming along very slowly!! I should have a nice pile of parts to come home to when I get back the end of Feb/March time so hopefully there will be some progress then!!

Karl Rowlands

1981 MK1 GTI - 2.0l 16V 9A - SRAD carbs

Ive had to many years of easy motoring so thought id buy a 35 yr old car and see what happens!!!!!

Back to the top
Looking good mate, I was going to ignore behind the turrets, got me thinking now because it looks so good but I don't want to do it 😕

Follow me on Instagram, scottyr_mk1golf

Back to the top

Done a little bit more this week and have just got the last two holes to weld up on the bulkhead. I can then get the car into epoxy and start all of the filler work.
  I sent my box off to get cleaned up and it has come back better than I expected

Back to the top
Are you stripping and doing seals bud.
Looks like being shot blasted
If has being blasted I would strip it and wash it out grit beside the box

Back to the top

Ashton09 said

Are you stripping and doing seals bud.
Looks like being shot blasted
If has being blasted I would strip it and wash it out grit beside the box

The shaft was sealed and everything else was sealed up so hopefully nothing has got in.  I'm going to change the seal on the end cover before it goes back onto the car though.

Back to the top

Once box in I would flush it just make sure save those bearings
Good work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Looking forward to seeing the results of the bay tidy up, was a top notch car anyway! Good work!

Back to the top
Box looks great mate, top work

Follow me on Instagram, scottyr_mk1golf

Back to the top

Panch_mk1golf said

Looking forward to seeing the results of the bay tidy up, was a top notch car anyway! Good work!

scottyr1 said

Box looks great mate, top work

Thanks guys !!

I went to finish up the welds on Sunday but as per usual !! Something cropped up and stopped me doing it  :P  Gas ran out on the welder, and last thursday the dremel blew up.
  Going to get some more gas tomorrow so 'll hopefully get it finished soon !!
  This is how far i got with the patches on the front engine mount. I need to go over the first patch and fill in the pin holes and grind it down again.
IMG_1893.JPG
IMG_1894.JPG

Back to the top

So….. some media has managed to get into the box upon inspection, and think it went in through the tower as I forgot to plug one of the holes
Time to get the case cracked and clean it out !!

Back to the top
I've managed to get the car into primer finally  !! and have now started to do the filler work. This is the part that i'm not looking forward too ! so fingers crossed it all goes well.
 I also had a practice at spraying a spare bonnet to see how it went and was pretty happy with the result. I found that the lacquer went on a bit orange peeley, but don't think i added enough thinners and sprayed it from a bit too far away. I'll give it another shot before I spray the bay.

IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
Attachment
65 views (2 Mb)

Back to the top
Your bay is beginning to look marvellous. Looks like you've done a good job with the bonnet too  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Your bay is beginning to look marvellous. Looks like you've done a good job with the bonnet too  :thumbs:

Matt

Thanks Matt ! I'll hopefully get a bit more done tomorrow if I get some time in it. 

Back to the top

So, a few weeks have passed and I seem to have made a bit of progress with the bay and i should be giving it it's colour on Sunday.
  I've laid down the epoxy primer, filled and smoothed the bits I wanted to and haven given it's final couple of coats of high build primer.
  It has a few floors but It's my first time attempting to do the work myself and I'm happy with how it's turned out so far.
 Wish me luck with the colour and lacquer

Back to the top

I managed to paint the bay and front panel today, and I'm really happy with how it has turned out for a first attempt at bodywork and spraying.
 There are a couple of runs on the passenger turret which should flat out, but other than that it went well.
 I'm going to leave it a couple of weeks to harden up before I even attempt to do anything else on the car

Back to the top

So ! It’s been a fair while since I updated this thread so here goes !
 With the help of @beany1234 and Unityneil we got the engine back into the car and all wired up and running again. Only problem is that the alternator isn’t charging properly. It’s going down to crazy quiffs once I’ve got everything else done for them to see if they can fix what I’ve messed up. Hopefully it’s something simple.
 With the car being in the garage it picked up a few scuffs and scrapes, so the decision was to re-paint the car rather than try and touch the bits in. I’ve currently just primed the last part of the car and have nearly finished flagging the primer down ready for paint.
 I’m having a go at painting the car myself so have opted to hire a booth for the base coat and laquer as It’ll hopefully help with not getting too many specs of dust in the final finish. All being well I’m painting it on the 4th feb, wish me luck !!
 Here’s a few photos of what’s been going on since the last post.

Adam.

Back to the top
Nice to see it again! Good luck with the paint job.  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.