Skip navigation

1985 VW passat cl

Back to the top

1985 VW passat cl

So this is my 3rd car. i now have 2 winter progects, this and my 1984 santana gx5.
didnt expect this one but i would have been stupid not to buy it for the money the chap was asking.

it is a passat cl estate
1.8 8v petrol with 105k on the clock
manual 4+e gearbox with a brown/fluffy cow patern interior
porsche coocie cutter wheels;

here it is parked next to the santana beast;

it needs a bit of love. new suspension as the previous owner cut the springs and it has been stood for a while.

my plans are to sort the suspension, brakes, swap the wheels and tyres and fix up the body work and interior.
the engine runs very smoothly but i am really tempted to drop something crazy in there like a v8 or supercharged vr6 or something! lol
i probably wont though.

any ideas, feel free to sugest them :)

thanks for looking

Rich

Back to the top
Very nice indeed! I've never seen a santana before, very funky

List of past and present cars ive owned

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

2003 Ibiza 130 tdi hybrided to 240bhp

1991 Mk 2 jetta calypso green 1.6td

2001 MG ZT 190+ v6 in trophy blue…. Sold to my brother

2003 Golf GTI TDI 150 black leather heated recaros ;) the

Back to the top
Lovely.

How come these are never for sale when I'm looking?!? (I ended up with a B4 TDI estate)

Back to the top
This didn't really come up for sale. I was just lucky really. I had parked my santana next to an old beetle and when I came back to it, the owner of the beetle came running out of the shop to have a chat and he mentioned he had this passat. Apparently his wife had sent him out to buy a nice family car (like a b4 tdi) qnd he came back with this! She flipped out and dead he had to sell it. He wasn't going to but when he sqw the santana, he must have figured I'd be weird enough to want another old banger! Lol

Back to the top
The passat should clean up a treat. There are pictures of it on THIS thread from last September.

Back to the top
Cool. Thanks for that mate. I love seeing old pics like that. Even if they are not actually that old! :)
I remember looking through those pics last year but forgot the passat was in them.

The chap kept the old school roof rack and aa badge because they belonged to his wife.

You are right though. It will clean up well. It has gotten a little rusty since those pics but nothing that can't be sorted.

Back to the top
well i have put this back on the road and i have been using it as my daily. i sold the cookie cutters for 50 quid more than i payed for the car.
bought some proper lowering springs and fitted them to brand new shocks all round. sorted the brakes and it flew through its mot with no advisories!

i bought a set of bbs rm's with toyo proxys for very little at the auto jumble at edition 38 and this is how it looks now

taxed, insured and moted. she runs perfectly.
lovin it  :cool:  :wub:  :wub:

Back to the top
Retro tastic mate. Is that 3 cars now you own :lol:

Back to the top
awsome :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Really like early Passats..... :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
Following this! As one of my good buddies wants one! 

Mk1 Jetta. Soon to be running bonkers Mtdi :thumbs:

Back to the top
Stick an R32 in it!!! :lol:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

smudger said

Retro tastic mate. Is that 3 cars now you own :lol:

4 now mate!  :lol:

the golf, the santana, this passat and the morris 8.

no saving for a house for me! 4 pits to pour my money into  :lol:

richyhill said

awsome :-)

Ice2812 said

Really like early Passats….. :thumbs:

Richy_Rich said

Following this! As one of my good buddies wants one! 

thanks chaps  :)

Melteddrummer said

keeping it pretty much as it is for a while. tempted to get some wood effect vynal to go down the side to make it look like an oldschool american station wagen or something? haha.

maybe when i am finished with the santana i will drop either a 16v in it or an old 5cylinder audi 2.2 10 or 20v turbo. the 1.8 in there feels very smooth and strong for now.
the replacement needs to be a longditudinal engine…

it is the daily at the moment though and i will be using it to get parts for morris/golf/santana from all over the country and bring them back. it has a tow bar too and all the seats fold flat so you can turn the back into a bed and sleep in it :D ultimate campiong wagon.

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.