Skip navigation

wiring in 1978 series 1 9a 16v

Back to the top

wiring in 1978 series 1 9a 16v

elo every 1, i am slowly doing a 16v 9a converion to my 1.1 78 carb. i got the car full i.e. with engine running gear etc . . . however with out any wiring. just wanted to no what loom to use and what fuse box? and if i can get a full wiring loom, where?

i am good with the mechanics side of things, iv done most welding, i can put the engine in my self, however electrics is a nightmare! if the car has no wiring how am i suppose to no where what connects??? can someone help if you no what im talking about

cheeeers

Back to the top
Areet matey, i haven't done the said conversion myself, but i would take a guess from reading other posts and a background knowledge of electrics, that you are gonna have to splice both the 16v harness (for engine management (with ecu), fuel system, clocks e.t.c) and the mk1 harness (for lights, instruments e.t.c).

This is quite difficult i imagine, but could be done with patience, and also i have read of people swapping from the early fuse board to the later type with cartridge fues.

Or alternatively, you could stump up the cash and get a custom harness made up? Probs cost a canny bit that tho!

This is about all i can think think of at the mo. Hope it helps!

Good luck! :D  :D

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
nice 1 mate, what if i get a mk2 16v loom? and use the mk2 16v clocks? then i wont have to do no mods

Back to the top
Mk2 16V has the fuse box on the driver's side, doesn't it?

Back to the top
does it? i didnt no that paul, would this be a problem to locate in mk1 plac? or are there any other solutions?

Back to the top
It will be a massive problem to relocate the fusebox to the left, because all the wires will be too short. That's IF the Mk2 15V has the fusebox on the right - can anyone confirm this? I suspect so, having seen a loom from it.

Back to the top
does it? i didnt no that paul, would this be a problem to locate in mk1 plac? or are there any other solutions?

Back to the top
any 1 no what alternatives i have?

Back to the top
Yeah all mk2 fuse boxes are on the right!

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
not good at all! does any one no if TSR do a loom for the 9a into mk1?

Back to the top
hi i'm sure tsr used to do a engine loom that pluged in, i've still got a diagram some where let me fish it out, and i'll post a pic.

Back to the top
that would be wiked mate!

Back to the top

79-85 said

hi i'm sure tsr used to do a engine loom that pluged in, i've still got a diagram some where let me fish it out, and i'll post a pic.

Their engine loom connected dizzy, ignition ECU, TCI, a temp sensor and a couple of earth and power connections, it didn't do anything to do with the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, ISV or its module (or AAV and TTS) or WUR. For these, you could start from a GTI loom and make length corrections as needed. Also you'll have oil temperature sender to wire in.

What loom does your car have at present? Rev counter?

Back to the top

paul_c said

79-85 said

Their engine loom connected dizzy, ignition ECU, TCI, a temp sensor and a couple of earth and power connections, it didn't do anything to do with the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, ISV or its module (or AAV and TTS) or WUR. For these, you could start from a GTI loom and make length corrections as needed. Also you'll have oil temperature sender to wire in.

What loom does your car have at present? Rev counter?

yes that sounds about right.

Back to the top
ooo okay... my car was a i.i carb so has no rev counter aswell, this loom was ripped out b4 i got the car, but i can source a mk1 gti loom ov flea-bay proberly

Back to the top

unmol said

ooo okay… my car was a i.i carb so has no rev counter aswell, this loom was ripped out b4 i got the car, but i can source a mk1 gti loom ov flea-bay proberly

There's 2 variations - what kind of fusebox do you have at the moment? Or are you not bothered about converting the wiring throughout the car (and adapting where needs be)?

Back to the top
elo paul, i got the  car without fuse box/wiring, so im going to have to use the gti loom with bits of 16v loom i guess?

Back to the top

unmol said

elo paul, i got the  car without fuse box/wiring, so im going to have to use the gti loom with bits of 16v loom i guess?

Yeah but there's many variations of Mk1 GTI loom (at least 5, probably more). I'd be tempted to get the dash sorted first.

Back to the top
yehh thats a nightmare on its own, im trying to look for a series 1 gti dash! very hard!!!

Back to the top
tsr loom a waste of money, no different to a bog std 16v ign controller loom except the lengths might have been tweaked a bit.  I have a Corrado KR loom in mine which is a close fitr to MK1 as rado has its ign controller on same side as a MK1 :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.