Skip navigation

White 1987 Cabriolet GTi

Back to the top

White 1987 Cabriolet GTi

I thought that you might like to see our 'new' Golf. This is my 6th Golf.
It is a 1987 GTi White Cabriolet, my mother in law has owned from brand new and to date it has done 62000 miles. It has every MOT, Tax Disc, Service, order form and delivery note. It is totally original and untouched. Well nearly it has had a new VW fitted replacement roof, in the past.
It is showing some signs of age, there are some stone chips starting to bubble up here and there, no perforations though. The inside trim is starting to lift in places, the front seats are faded and the wheels are in need of some TLC. But it drives well, still feels very solid and firm and the roof appears to be water tight.
I have always said to her that if she gets rid of it to let me know first and this is the situation now, so we have it…so really it is still in the original family.
I am planning to slowly restore the parts that need attention, but I am not going to modify it, leave it as VW intended.
Here is so far the only pics I have.
I have started T-Cutting and polishing just to bring some shine back as it has become a little dull.

Back to the top
Nice looking cabby. I do love white mk1's, got a 1983 all white edition cabby myself. Heres a pic of mine  and welcome to the club. You will get lots of info on any probs or questions you have from here, just post in correct section or have a search as most questions have been answered in the past. Also have a look at this site it's quite informative  Home .

Roof off

Roof on

Also check out your local region as theres normally something going on.

Welcome again
Dan

1983 Cabby Gti All White Edition

Back to the top
looks very clean mate....

Back to the top
Looking at the age, colour coding and wheels it could have been a 'Quartet',  a special edition you could pick and mix red/white/blue/grey, paint hood and interior  :dontknow:

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Early 1800, I think you are right, it has a blue interior, well the dash and consoles are black but the seats and door trims are blue.

Also as can be seen the wheels are showing their age, I would like to get these refurbished, anyone know any good people for this. I am in Northamptonshire so somewhere in the East Midlands would be ideal. Thanks.

Back to the top
Beautiful looking car!!!! xx

Back to the top

Peebee said

Early 1800, I think you are right, it has a blue interior, well the dash and consoles are black but the seats and door trims are blue.

Also as can be seen the wheels are showing their age, I would like to get these refurbished, anyone know any good people for this. I am in Northamptonshire so somewhere in the East Midlands would be ideal. Thanks.

Not going to be close to you but thought id give you an idea on cost. Spit and polish in Tonbridge, Kent quoted me £50 a corner and that was for dipping them as mine are white, any minor repairs to get a good finish and obviously the spray to what ever colour I wanted (told them the original paint code and they were happy to get that). Also as a bit of a result I mentioned that my Mum owns a garage so they have dropped the price to £40 a corner, just as long as I take some company headed paper in when I drop the wheels off.

Dan

1983 Cabby Gti All White Edition

Back to the top
Hi and welcome,

She looks in good shape, nice one!
It's fantastic that you have have the entire history of the car starting with the delivery note.
That's priceless.

The work you will do is just superficial and part of the fun of owning a Mk1.

I used to sell these 25+ years ago in the days when VW started the 'Pick & Mix' colour scheme. I always felt that the Golf looked its best in white. I used to plead with the Boss to order our Demo's in white because we would sell them faster which he did. Then he tried a black but that stuck around too long. Then red but that took a while as well.  :dontknow:

Back to white (again my Demo car) sold in two days.
We would always give a customer more money for a white one in PX or a straight cash purchase because it would sell a lot faster and we would make a good deal more out of it!

White looks the best in my opinion and now after a 25 year pause I own one!

Mike.

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Dan thanks for the information regarding the price, at least that gives me some idea of budget.

I was never that excited by white cars in the past, but I think that it does suit this car nicely, the colour seems to be making a comeback at the moment, white cars everywhere you look.

Back to the top
wish i could post some pics of mine but im a propper pc spacca :banghead:

Back to the top
Been T-cutting and polishing today. There was a lot of green Algae for want of a better term on her. She looks alot better now, there are alot of marks to sort, but she looks good considring her age. No pics, been out in it this afternoon, drives well.
My daily is an old peugeot 306, I think after driving this I would like another MK1 hardtop Golf.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.