Skip navigation

S1 1979 inari silver PD TDI

Back to the top

S1 1979 inari silver PD TDI

well this is the build thread for my mk1, it's a series 1 1.5 gls, but not for long! i have had it since the 15th january this year, bought after months of trying to find the right one and i love it! of course before i had even picked it up i had massive plans for it, involving the normal of wheels and interior, and also swapping the old 1.5 for something a bit more potent! here she is the day i got her, with my mate rob in the passenger seat:

after a good road trip down to the south coast and back, she was parked on the drive, and left untouched for a couple of months until i decided exactly what i wanted to do to her!
i haven't taken any progress pictures along the way, been getting too over excited and just working hard on her lol, but will take a picture of how she stands now as soon as possible! so far i have totally stripped the interior, seats, trim, dash, wiring, the lot, removed the underseal, taken the sunroof out as that will be welded up, replaced the front lower panel, rear lower panel, both rear arches, and repaired a section on the spare wheel well as they had succumbed to rust bunnies!
over the space of this weekend i have now removed the engine, gearbox, all the running gear, lower arms, exhaust and now only have the rear beam and tank to remove, then she is ready to be put on her side and to have all the underseal on the bottom removed and renewed!
when i made up my mind what engine i wanted, i got searching on ebay, and managed to find a t-boned bora very close to home. this was snapped up rather sharpish, and is in the process of being stripped now. this is the donor car:

it's a 1.9 tdi pd115, with 160k on the clock, full service history, and before the accident had a brand new hydraulic clutch system, luk replacement clutch and re-con gearbox.
i will try and keep on top now i have managed to get this up on here, and take as many pictures along the way as i can. all thoughts and comments welcome, and as and when bits are done you will see the direction i am taking the car in!
cheers
azza

Back to the top
pd powered mk1  8)

subscribed  :wink:

Back to the top
Inari silver FTW

I miss my old one.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Be interesting to see this build thread going.

It's great if you got them engineering skills too.

keep up the good work.

Cheers

Chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
hi azza rob looks happy :)  cant wait to see this when you have finished

Back to the top
The thread might be a little slow lol
Iv got to take them camera outside :)

Today I have taken off the rear beam, fuel and brake lines.

What have people done with there bias valve spring things lol

By the way I don't have any engineering skills just taking my time and see how things go and if I need anything made I will do my best to make them first.

Not sure how the driveshaft set up is gonna go down but we will see

Back to the top
Finally took pics of what I have done will upload them all tomorrow.

I have taken all the running gear to the shed for a full strip down and removed all rubbers and given them a paint of satin black with a quick blast coat of lacquer to seal them. Im going to drop the tank tomorrow and steering rack and it should be ready for a place on her side for a few days :)

Azza

Back to the top
few more progress pics, rear arches changed, wishbones/axle/mountings taken off, cleand and painted black, petrol tank off and cleaned out, every panel off, all glass out, underseal in the process of being stripped:

Back to the top
no horse power here, 1 aaron power:

bye bye sealant:

no rot round the screen very happy with this :D :

big pile of panels:

painted bits:

and done  :) :

Back to the top
Evening all,

Had a very sunny Sunday so got loads of work done

Mr andy Kirby came over today (you may know his amazing mk2?) he got to work stripping more underseal
While I welded up a small little repair in the passenger footwell.
Then we undersealed all of the inside of the car then layied soundproofing over the top to make it nice and quiet.
We also had time to lay a few coats of soundproofing on the insides of all four doors.

Back to the top
Sorry guys for the lack of info!
Got cracking on my dads garage the other day if was full of rubbish and plasterboard (because they have gone on holiday) I cleaned it out and screwed up the plasterboard and made my perfect work station for the mk1  got a couple of buddy's over to give me a lift with it. We just stuck sone 2x2 in the chassi legs and just lifted (will show you all the pics) so wind rain or shine I can work on her. Maybe until my dad comes home and kills me?
I have only had it in a few days and so far I have stripped all the paint off the bay and half the shell. Once when I have taken off all the paint I will filler up all the little dents then shoot it in some primer then I will either turn it over and do the underneeth or get the bora home and start mocking up all the pd parts?  

Pics to follow

Back to the top
hi guys still havent posted up any pics but will take aload today and try and put some up!
i have now welded up all holes in the engine bay and no paint left on the car what so ever  hope i remember the inari silver paint coad lol. also took off my gearbox mount and waiting for the pd lump and 6 speed. i will have to re weld it back in once i have the engine and gearbox in (roughly)to support the weight as shes a heavy box. also i will chassi notch once when i have sorted out driveshafts and gearbox cups. got a fealing mk4 golf 20v non turbo 100mm cups will fit on my box?!? but not to sure. any info on this would help massively.

pics to come

azza

Back to the top
my mates old car!! will be checking in on this for sure.... gonna be goood! :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top

Back to the top
You don't hang about mate,  good luck with the build  :)

Back to the top
Haha
The amount of people that say that.
Now it's in the garage I don't have any excuses.
Just get on with it I suppose.
Underneeth next! Then bora tank sunroof blank then the pd :)

Back to the top
hi all,

good day today! well half day after work!
rolled her on her side and took off all the underseal grease and other crap now just left with a car with no paint or underseal on now and is very light  
Im going to order some por15 and wax oil to do the lot in. fit the bora/mk1 tank with filler neck then roll her back over again. Any other thoughts on what i should do now while shes like this would help massively

Back to the top
Cant see the last set of pics dude, stop teasing  :lol:

G60

Back to the top
I can :)

Well come over and take a look then!

Back to the top
Just a little update

Welded up the passenger sill and joint plate from the spare wheel well to the rear panel.
Also seam sealed all the underneeth waiting for a bottom and top coat of por15 and wax oil might also Shutz the sills?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.