Skip navigation

My Mk1 1981 Golf Cabrio Gls finally :D

Back to the top

My Mk1 1981 Golf Cabrio Gls finally :D

Hi all,

After a year of looking an earning no claims to be able to have a cabby as my daily driver finally its here :)

i have had this car for 2 months now and thought it was about time i document our journey.

Meet CEXY this is how he looked when i picked him up.

i have been fixing him ever since but its all good fun.
it all started driving him back to my house when i noticed my window wipers and rev counter didnt work and i had no high beam :P

We tried a few things but nothing worked so then we had a look at the fuse box and that was like opening a can of worms aha.
All it took was one touch and i had nothing. We spent weekends looking through wiring diagrams and tracing wires slowly things started to work but they were still intermittent and the fuel gauge would not budge. I found a second hand fuse box  so i bought it we had tried everything . Put it in and everything worked straight away aha typical.

I took it to a garage to get the whole car checked see what needed doing so i could make a list and work my way through. The list was two pages long but we are making good progress :)

Firstly i picked myself up a nice set of p slots, i need all new tyres so i thought i might as well go the whole hog :)

That was one thing off the list.

Since then i have replaced all water hoses as i had some bad leaks, a new fuel filler neck that was like a sieve aha. full new fuel lines fuel pump and filters, new oil filler cap, i have replace all the chrome trims and skirts that had been taken off, replaced the badges, i also managed to get hold of a cc interior just this week :) this was my best find.
It wasnt advertised as what it was and the photos were not very good it was in an old barn and the owner of the house had been left this car when he moved in and thought the seats were the only thing worth anything.
here is what they looked like when i arrived at the barn.

I there were a little dirty but i knew i could clean them up and he had the full set of door cards also which he threw in. He also said i could have a look around the car and take anything else i need so i got some switches and trims i need.

I got them home and gave them a good clean and they came up so well :)

The day i went to pick my seats up the golf had a fuel leak so he was in the garage getting he new shiny fuel lines. so i had to wait a day to fit them but it was worth it :)

My old seats :)

We finished the whole interior as it was starting to get dark, i got in the golf to give it a spin and realised we hadn't swapped the seat belt fasteners over :P

My dad was determined to finish :)

Thats were i am up to at the moment, going to take some photos in abit of my interior all in and finished. i still have a way to go but its slowly getting there next job rocker cover gasket :)

My seats all in…

I got in last night and was greeted with this lovely wet patch….

i just went out now to have a look and i think this could be my problem…

:( i have just done a quick search and by the looks of things its going to be expensive! any ideas?

thanks for looking hannah

1981 cabriolet gls 1.6
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.