Skip navigation

My first golf - 1991 Clipper

Back to the top

My first golf - 1991 Clipper

Hi I am new to this site just thought i post this to see if i got any replies

Ive been looking into buying a golf now for a year or 2 but never found the right one for me then i came accross this one on the weekend and fell in love and ended up buying it.
 its a 1.8 non gti, its got FSH from new, origional leather wallet with all booklets, serviced every year with stamps and receipts and only 90k and electric hood in mint condition

Obviously it needs a bit of TLC to get it back into perfect condition which is why i came on here to hopefully get going in the right direction

I am only 21 so i have to use this car as my daily driver as i cant afford 2 cars nor do i have the space (our house share already has 4 cars lol)

And the alloys came with my car, they will be going asap….

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Welcome to the site mate.

You got yourself a nice clipper there.

Im sure you will find all the help and info you need on here.

Back to the top
love the colour  :D

Back to the top
i like it, wheels aint to bad mate

Back to the top
Looks like you bagged a bargin there mate, nice looking car.

You only payed £50 more than me and got far more for the money…..

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top
good buy, looks fairly solid and nice colour, welcome to the club and get out to some meets local to you, we are all a friendly bunch

Cheers

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
we heey! another capri green one! lush colour! nice find and what a bargain!! where abouts are you based mate? totally agree get yourself to the local meets, theyre great for advice, meeting new people and gaining new mates that all have that one thing in common! time to get out there and enjoy the open top super cheap motoring!

welcome to the site!

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
Great find.. I agree with you about the wheels though.. Some original bbs would look much better in my opinion.. That colour always looks good though and for the price you paid, you can never lose on it..  :D

Back to the top
silly question how do you its a clipper and what does that mean

Baggie

If you can read this, thank a teacher,

If its in English, thank a soldier.

A soldier fights not because he hates whats in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him.

Back to the top
Hi guys thanks for the positive response, im looking at getting clutch cambelt all fluid change grease up the roof and immobiliser (insurance company are making get one) this weekend, get the car running sound before i start to get her looking good,
First on the list are some nice bbs alloys as i cant stand the fox racing ones on there and hopefully after that get the paintowrk sorted and then start on the little details

And i am from Bristol i went to The bristol Volks Fest last year and my aim is to get my golf in good condition for it this year

baggie said

Baggie

Clippers are the MK1 cabriolets made after 1988 up until the MK3 cabrio.

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top

baggie said

Baggie

Cos it says so on the rear quarter  :wink:

Back to the top
Congratulations! I was due to view the car at 3pm but arrived back to Bristol too late and you'd snapped it up before me!
Annie probably disappeared off to answer her phone whilst you were sorting your insurance out!
Well done - I've seen it around and know it's a nice car - and a lot of car for the money!

I've just got back from Shaftesbury with my newest purchase. 89-reg 1.8 GTi Cabriolet as my latest project.
Will post a thread once I've got some photos sorted - big project and due to it's re-spray, more of a modded one than a resto!

Enjoy and congrats once again! (I had £1,100 cash for it so you did well!!)

Project TBC
1989 VW Golf Mk1 GTi Cabriolet

Back to the top
the clipper is the non GTi version, carburetor instead of injection, its a lower spec but allows you to have similar fun, I was 20 when i got mine and i couldnt get insured on a GTi but could on a clipper, so a clipper it was! would love a GTi sportline in the future!

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
yes mate! glad to hear you are a bristol boy too, Bristol Volksfest this year is going to be big, we all had a great time last year, and i am hoping we can pull down some of the mk1 owners club guys from further a field for this years etc , keep and eye on the regional section as i will be posting up about a bristol meet soon, Where in bristol are you bud ?

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

brucieboy said

the clipper is the non GTi version, carburetor instead of injection, its a lower spec but allows you to have similar fun, I was 20 when i got mine and i couldnt get insured on a GTi but could on a clipper, so a clipper it was! would love a GTi sportline in the future!

ok so as I have an injection it is a GTI? new to golfs, sorry for sounding think

If you can read this, thank a teacher,

If its in English, thank a soldier.

A soldier fights not because he hates whats in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him.

Back to the top
nice cabby, love the colour mate, welcome aboard too

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
almost 300 posts later this is how the car looks now :D

When I Joined;

Now;

Im still using the car everyday, got a service due soon then gonna take the car off the road and start tidying up interior and engine bay. I was also planning on a respray but christmas bonus has been cut to 10% of last year so it might have to wait :(

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
its really coming on mate :-)

1.8T CABBY
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.