Skip navigation

My 1982 Mars Red Resto....

Back to the top

My 1982 Mars Red Resto....

Sorry to those that might have already seen these pics on CGTI etc but thought I would add them anyway as there seems to be alot of different users  :D

The story began as my brother inlaw got offered a tidyish 1.1 Mk1, he bought it with the intention of sticking in a valver or a G, unfortunatly my sister told him that having a Mk2 8v, 16v and a Mk3 VR was enough golfs for anyone and to get shot of this new money pit!  :lol:  :lol:

He offered it to me and I thought I may as well buy it stick on an MOT and use it until I could afford a nice Mk2…

When I got it home it really was in good condition for a 20year old car!

Although the engine was abit lame (even for a 1100) it was loosing abit of oil and didnt run well   :(

At this point I knew nothing much about engines but with my dads help and CGTI and the haynes close at hand I decided to rebuild the engine to make sure its reliable and to learn something!

(excuse the old towel, tried to keep myself clean!   :lol: )

And voila an dirty, empty, dirty engine bay  :lol:

Decided once I had got the engine down it wasnt leaking abit, it was leaking quite alot!   :?   :lol:

Was quite worried at this point that I had no clue what I was doing but my dad talked me through it and the haynes came in quite helpful  :)

The engine stand I bought was a real life saver, would recommend anyone doing the same to get one!

And the strip down began   :D

Back to the top
Good work in progress.  Keep us all posted with lots of pics :D

Banner

Back to the top
:mrgreen: 'lo andy.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
nice to see another 1300 getting the treatment!

Back to the top

i have got in stock a 1300 engine which has only done 40000 miles and sounds spot on it is still in the car so still running if your intrested

Back to the top

Re: 1300

scouse said

i have got in stock a 1300 engine which has only done 4000 miles and sounds spot on it is still in the car so still running if your intrested

4000 miles  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

Back to the top

do

:roll:

Back to the top
Cheers for the replys guys, sorry I havent added any more pics, ive got most of the car back together now but thanks for the offer of the engine  :D

(mine is actually an 1100!  :oops:  :lol: )

I stripped the engine down and replaced every nut, bolt, seal, gasket etc!  Took for ages to source some of the parts because it isnt a GTI  :roll:

turned out that oil leak was down to a crappy old gasket and a sump bolt going walk about!  :lol:

Then after it was back together I cleaned it up and painted it silver (might be abit chav but its grown on me!)  :lol:

Back into place  :D  With a much cleaner engine bay!  :D

And I fitted a 9" servo and 22mm MC too  :)

At this point I realised I had fallen in love with the Mk1 shape and didnt want to just botch her up to buy a Mk2 I was gonna spend some more money and try and make this a special little car  :D

Back to the top
As the car had sat for awhile the brake disks and pads needed replacing but I noticed that the previous owner had two differnt styles of calipers on the car!  :dontknow:

So I dumped those in the bin and replaced them with GTI calipers and new vented GTI disks and pads  :D

I also got some new suspension dropping the car 40/45mm and new VAG top mounts, I also replaced the wishbone bushes and tierods etc while I was there  8)

The old stuff removed…

New poly bushes…

I also decided to replace the rear beam bushes with poly bushes and generally clean up that whole area

Also got new wheel cylinders etc for the rear drums along with new brake pipes and hoses all round  8)

Waxoiled…

Removed the rubbish and road dirt from rear beam…

Then becuase I bought some silver hamerite I decided to paint the rear beam in it!  :lol:  :lol:  The shiniest part of the car and youll never see it!

Back to the top
looking very good there Andy, them poly bushes should make a world of difference 8)

Back to the top
Excellent work so far Andy. It's nice to hear you're keeping it reasonably standard  8)

'91 Cabriolet

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments guys  :D

Here are a few more pics of what ive been upto…..

My attention turned to the bodywork next, this is really the area I was dreading not becuase there was much wrong just because I had never tried anything like this before!  :?

As I said the car was solid but had a few little niggly problems, the main one the rear arches…

Bubbling rust was like that on both sides  :(  So I sanded it down with some sand paper and hit metal quickly so thought I had done my job  :D  I applied some Krust and anti rust primer and they looked like this…

Then after this I decided that I wanted to change a few little things like install Audi handles, remove the bottom side trim, badges on the boot and the rear wiper.  So I got a guy to come round and do some welding…

Scary sight!!  8O

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.