Skip navigation

mars red 1600 gti

Back to the top

mars red 1600 gti

After looking for a mk1 for a long time i ended up getting  this car in scotland last august from a gentleman whose family had owned the car for over 15 years  .The car had been supplied originally by rawsons in tonbridge wells kent, and then had 1 other owner before being bought by the scottish family. The car was in pretty good order with the usual carpark knocks along the flanks, needing a little attention to get it back on form.It had had only a little paint in its life time (much of it of course was faded)and it had all the usual original stickers in place. So a deal was done and i drove it back from above edinburgh, across on the boat to co antrim . After taking the arches off i was pleased to see it had only a little rust on the arches .and the two front wings needed replaced.Here is how it looked on arriving home

The rear spoiler had to go,

i also wanted some of the "ziebart"plugs from dealership rust proofing welded up.It amazes me they just didnt remove the door cards and inject the wax  , as opposed to drilling holes in the A and B posts of the car .

Two wings and rear repair panels were sourced and the car prepared by a local body shop who were very particular to go through all the details as to how i wanted the car to be turned out , even down to the texture of the stone chip i wanted on the front panel !
To keep costs down the guys advised me to strip everything off the car ,side trims rubber seals ,glass etc.

I ordered new vinyl stickers from vw stickers and new side trim strips and clips.
Here are a few pics of it last week and when i picked it up on friday , before putting on bumpers lights,new windscreen etc ready for the trip up the road home.

The le casteletts will be removed and will be sold,at present i am in two minds what to put on i have a set of sebrings and of course RA's from my mk2,so either would do havent made up my mind.
I will upload more pics asap the camera battery has died . Needless to say fitting the new rear window sticker was a pain to fit but its on now! :lol:

Back to the top
Hey… at last we get a glimpse at this machine… :wink:  

Paint job look's excellent. Well done - what other plans have you got?

Engine all good?

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Hi Hugh
i want to just get it all back together, maybe lower it just a little , im too old for this pancaked look. I changed the timing belt as soon as i got it home, powder coated all the black stuff in the engine bay.
rocker cover rad cowling etc.A few things need doin but nothing major now .
Today I sprayed the rear panels and bootlid inside with dynax s50 wax  protection from bilt hammer  to keep it right .

Back to the top
The slow bit is putting it all back together… but with those long evenings it is sure to keep you busy!  :wink:

I guess take your time - sound like you know what your at…

Have you a deadline to finish to? Are you going to agm in uttoxeter?

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Hi hugh it would be good crack but i dont think i will be ready in time for this year .

Back to the top
Good work so far - looking FRESH!

Back to the top

more bits added

few more bits put on ,
and a wheel issue - do i put the sebrings or Ra's on the mk1 or mk2? i like both on both  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Looks class  :wink: , I'll start the voting, Mk1 ~ RA's, Mk2 ~ Sebring's  :D

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
I would have to agree - much prefer the RA's on the mk1 :lol:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
added a few more bits in the past few days ,front spoiler door handles and had a go at putting on side stripes today,  8O

Back to the top
Neither really suit the Mk1 IMO, though I would go with the sebrings. Something about RA's - I just don't like 'em!

Back to the top
Looking very fresh Ivor

Good work and keep at it - few shows need attending in this wagon!

Back to the top
have opted for the ra's on the mk1, sebrings look better against the dark of the oak mk2,
passenger side , side light not working , falling foul of mk1 gremlins!fuses seem ok.

Back to the top
small update ,got the sidelights on passenger side working again by giving the fuse a rub with emery paper .Door cards now fitted have new window scrapers for outside to go on . took it up the road tonight for some exercise , nippy enough.smile inducing !

Back to the top
Lovely looking paintjob/car 8)  With that coat of paint i would go original on 9 spokes but if i had to pick between sebrings and RA's I would go RA everytime as i had both on mk1s over the years and prefer the RAs 8)

Back to the top
thanks guys perhaps the pics flatter it a little. My brother got me some expensive trim restorer for my birthday so thought i would give it a try i gave it a go here on the lowest one.

of course i had used it on the other cars so didnt have enough to complete the rest , its supposed to last up to two years !
stuck the ra's on and the arches on the passenger side

i also got a badge refurb kit from chortle , freshened them up well .

Back to the top

tiny bit of progress

have hardly had time to  carry  out any further work on the car .my driver seat side bolster fabric was showing a worn patch and thanks to desperado for donating some spare fabric i got the  side panel replaced , seat is now up to scratch .
Replaced the fuel pump , and deoxed and primed and painted  the cradle.
I had read on here about the accelerator cable bush so thought i would check mine out. I couldnt believe it was so bad , looked like a piece of ginger cake ! So i fitted a mk2 bush from vw fitted perfectly , at a cost of 78 p plus vat .  

i left it into a local guy who used to be a vw service manger , replaced the oil pump, got steering column gaiter fitted and a heat shield sorted . So some progress at last. :D

Back to the top
wow awesome, i live in tunbridge wells where the car came from.

im shopping for a mint original mk1 mars red gti at the moment, really hope i can find something like this :)

Back to the top

update with pics

I took off some of the tired brackets and got them cleaned and zinc coated just to tidy them up and gave the oil cooler a lick of paint.they look bright individually but in the bay they are pretty hidden except for the bonnet catches . also treated myself to a new pair of hellas.

Back to the top
Lovely work :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.