Skip navigation

golf gti cabby 1988

Back to the top

golf gti cabby 1988

hi there.
i have just bought a golf gti 1988 cabby
the only problem with the car is that there is a bracket that is attached to the lower steering arms just above the exhaust where the manifold tail's off . it had broke in-between the steering arms and the  and where it is welded i am not sure if its supposed to be welded or bolted through the floor ? reason being its hard to steer one min you be steering right the next you be going st on lol and also with it floating it makes gearing hard to use at times i have only drove the car back from where i bought it from 20 miles away please help can i get a new part or has somone got one
thanks barrie

Back to the top
could do with a picture but could be the steering rack bracket isn't attached anymore

Banner

Back to the top
yeah its a bracket that is bolted the right at the bottom of the rack on the steering arms with a rubber mount in-between the bolted end and the steering arms and attached to the car just above the exhaust it has weekend and broke just above the exhaust.
dont have a pic yet maybe tomorrow  
i bought the car for £500 with this problem no rot at all just silly things like some rubber slightly going so ordered new ones the roof is only 2 years old
thanks barrie

Back to the top
wanna take her to shows ect but gotta get that sorted first lol

Back to the top
the steering rack has some U shaped brakets holding it on

the bolt onto a stud that come of the body sounds like this in snapped off

i wouldn't drive until is is sorted

you might be able to drill out and put a bolt through :dontknow:

Banner

Back to the top
thats the one it has been welded to the car by someone before i was thinking it should be bolted  lol i  wont driver her any-more until sorted just had to get her home as the person did not know wot they where selling lol
will try vw tomorrow
thanks barrie

Back to the top
dont think vw will help you to be honest

it's a diy jobby

Banner

Back to the top
ow dear it has snapped in-between the fixing to the car and the steering

Back to the top
i'll take it off me m8 knows some one that will make a prototype :)
when is the next vw show  is there some where i can get a dates for them thanks barrie

Back to the top
have a look in the national section there is a list of dates in there :)

Banner

Back to the top
ok thanks barrie
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.