Skip navigation

AVX 230X

Back to the top

AVX 230X

Hello people,

As recommended by Studs, this is a build thread for my beloved Golf. At first I wasn't too sure about starting it, as looking at some of the other threads, I realise that I'm no mechanic and some of the mini projects scare me to death. But then, I suppose that that's the point. And the more I do, I expect, with time, I'll look back at this and smile, not batting an eyelid at swapping an engine out over a weekend - or maybe not!

First things first - some facts.
AVX 230X until this last week, belonged to my mother. I bought it for her 50th birthday 6 years ago and now she's given it back to me. Good times.
AVX is a black cabriolet GLI. I've not had a good read through all it's history yet, but I've no doubt there are ghosts in the boot. Actually, when I had a look at the (very flat) spare tyre, there was a cracked vial under the tyre that said "methanol". Not sure what the heck that is about.

Next things next - some rash purchases.
In a fit of excitement I've bought a few things from eBay. A set of new winder handles, as two of the current ones are buggere and I've also grabbed a new boot strut as AVX has a nasty side and relishes in having a knackered boot strut and dropping the boot lid on my waiting knee. It's probably the methanol.

One thing at a time though. I'll get some snaps taken and get them uploaded for all to see and then we can get rolling on this journey.

Oh - a quick question - when I open the boot (and it's not trying to kill me), there's a black handle on the top left. What's that for? It doesn't seem to do anything when I pull it.

Leigh H

Back to the top
the black handle in the boot is the lock for the rear seats i think

but i may be wrong

Banner

Back to the top
Your right JB it the release button for the rear seats. There is a latch handle hidden on the passenger side to fold down the rear seat.

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
nice one hugh :)

new it was something like that :cheer:

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks fellas - that's a another thing that'll need sorting then ;-)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.