Skip navigation

a790 nyc-1.8t bare shell build

Back to the top

a790 nyc-1.8t bare shell build

well iv had the car almost 9month or so now so thought id better make a progress blog of it to show everyone else another dead golf that live in a garage, firsty i was given-yes given! the car off my brothers mate, his mum was naging how it sat there and was taking up space in there garden along with a dead fiesta,i soon snaped it off him after a look over it, it had had a half arse spray job,green on the outside and white underneeth everything,the arches had half been pulled and the fronts cut??very wierd but i didnt care,it also came with blue army camo print on the doorcard.unfortunatly i dont have pics from that stage.on old comp,but after a clean up and sum new plastic arches it looked something like this—-

Back to the top
it was a non runner,as they always are, so after a few parts to the 1.3 engine, new fuel lines, fuel tank plugs leads,roter arm, replaced the wires from the alternator and generally tune up,cleane dout all the car, bunged a load of petrol down it and it fired up a treat,then it sat there for a little while doing nothin,i sold the car on moving abroad for 400quid, then once i moved back after not getting on- 2weeks later i brought the car back for a grand,i think he saw me coming but o well,i really wante dit back and paid well over the odds for it, after being lent a double garage i thought i would make great useage of the space and work on the golf, so the strip down started.pics to follow-

my friend who helpd wth all the rubbing down doing a nice pose for everyone

me sanding the crap off,took the whole car back to origanal primer and reprimed it,

before we startd to take off the paint i ground back all the crap off the rear arches and welded sum new lips onto them, so i now have wide arches with the standard lip, fronts im working on at the moment.

and the other side being welded

after lots and lots of rubing down, as you all probly no how much time goes into the prep work i have the shell in primer now, iv re-filled the rear arches as was not happy with the finish the first time, but iv now got the doors, bonnet and boot to do, then a 2nd coat of primer on everything to get it nice and flat for paint,but here itis so far,

lovly rot free scuttle, anyone jelous??

then just a pic of the rear againg for you

after all the rubing down, i turned to the next best job,scraping, iv done both front arches but yet to start the rears,scrap all the old crap out, then,etch primed, stonechiped,undersealed,then stonchiped,then finsihed with primer back on top,then they will all get paintd so the colour is everywhere on the car,drivers side

pasenger side

Back to the top
i have also purchused a engine for the car, but i take it the title gives it away,its a aeb variation of the 1.8t,iv got a 020 box but hopefully geting another 02a at the weekend as they are stronger aparently,still new to all the codes as i used to be a vauxhall man,any comments welcome, ill be working on it at the weekend so more pics after that,

and the only little bit of rust that i have managed to find is a tiny bit at the back of the rear sill,but iv cut this out and goin to replace it with new metal at the weekend.

hope you all enjoy my first post,its many months work built up so you cant see how long its taken me,haha,

Back to the top
should look good when finished.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.