Skip navigation

A589 VGB (The Blue Beast)

Back to the top

A589 VGB (The Blue Beast)

Hello, this is my first Mk1 Golf so any advice will be much appreciated.

So I bought this car in August 2008, it's a 1.3L but the engine is shot so the plan is to put a 2L 16V in it on twin weber carbs.

This is how it arrived,

I then got some wheels from Mike B on here and had them refurbed and got some new tires stuck on them.

So the first job was to get them on the car and the body kit off off the car.

While I was on with it I stripped the dirty white roof ligning out and scraped the old sound proofing off.

More updates coming soon.

Back to the top
Wow 8O Looks 10 x better with the new wheels and no body kit. I'd go 1/2 colour coded standard bumpers with standard chin spoiler, would suit the paint job IMO. V Nice ride

Back to the top
Yeah it actually look like a Golf again  :lol: . The wheels are only tempory tho. Going to get some BBS splits on there eventually. I am starting by doing all the running gear, then going to trial fit/run the engine, smooth the bay then the do body work. The interior will be the last thing once everything is done. I think it is easier doing a section at a time than everything at once.

Back to the top
So last week I made a start on the running gear by pulling the back axel off.

I stripped the axel down witch took around 4 hours due to the drums being a nightmare to get off. The last time I drove it the rear whell locked up at 60mph and I had to get it recovered. When I finally got the drums off I found the bearing had collapsed and welded it's self to the stub axel. Hence why it was so hard to get the drums off. With the axel stripped I bolted on the Mk2 golf rear disc stub axels and sent it off to get shot blasted an powdercoated. I then started preppeing the rear disc conversion.

New calipers, discs, pads and shot blasted carriers, all painted in black brake paint.

Comming off for refurb this week will be the tank and front running gear. Stay tuned.

Back to the top
Man this is going well, looks really nice with the wheels. keep up the good work.

Craig.

Back to the top
Thanks Craig.

Feedback is allways appreciated, good or bad, lets me know if I am doing things right or not lol.

Back to the top
I would say that you are definately going in the right direction but thats my opinion. :P its your car at the end of the day. Do what it is that you like :D

Back to the top

Back to the top
Tonight I had an hour spare so I whipped the exhause off and dropped the tank off to go for shotblasting and powder coating.

Having a look under the car it has had a new floor plan in at some point. However it was not painted so is now rusty, lucky enough it looks just to be surface rust.

Back to the top
This weekend I got the axel back from being shot blasted and powder coated.

The first job was to get the old bushes out and some new poly ones in.

This ended up taking ages as I really struggled getting the new bushes in, but eventually managed to press them in with a hydraulic press.

Next up I got the rear Hot Tuning coilovers on.

Then on with the rear disc conversion that I had prepped previously.

Once I had assembled it all I then realised I had to get it back on the car by myself wich was a real struggle. But eventually ………

All that is left is to get the axel bush's tightened up, this should be done when the car is sat back on it's wheels to prevent the bush being over stressed.

Back to the top
when are you putting the fuel tank back in hehe :S i guess you know you will have to remove the rear axle again to fit it , or at lest let it hang on the handbrake cables.

Back to the top
I am hoping I can get the tank back on with the axel in place. I had to get the axel back on because my boss wants it moved round the back of the building. Apparently i am not meant to be using works equipment to work on it so i have to hide it so no one starts asking questions. If worst comes to worst i will drop the axel by the mounts and let it hang on the suspension.

Back to the top
lol i had the same problem when i was putting the engine in my car at the work. Anyway its still coming along welll man.

Back to the top
Nice work looking good, got some good angles on the photos that shows whats going on just a shame some of them are out of focus.

Back to the top
Yeah I should really start using my camera rather then my phone  :D .

Back to the top

Chidz said

Yeah I should really start using my camera rather then my phone  :D .
Not complaining though still some good info here. :) keep the pics still coming

Back to the top
Tonight I got the wheels back on and everything tightened up. It's now sitting nice and low thanks to the coilovers.

Back to the top
Here is a little taster of whats coming up next.

Yep you guessed it, it's an under dash pedal box.

Big shout out to Martin for getting it fabricated up for me.

It may take me a while to get in tho because I need to work out witch master clyinders/clyinder size/rod length and the likes so watch this space.

Back to the top
Just a quick update.

Due to a long term illness, I have been feeling under the weather this week so have not been able to work on the car.

However I have ordered some AP Racing master clyinders and romote reservoirs.

They are AP Racing CP2623 M/C's
14mm bore for the front
15.9mm bore for the back
115mm rod length
5/16 thread.

Here is a pic of them off the internet. As you can see they are very compact.

Back to the top
Sweet this is looking good, you don't mess about eh :wink:

Pete.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.