Skip navigation

1990 red clipper

Back to the top

1990 red clipper

I'll be posting up pictures as I go

I bought the 1990 Clipper 6 weeks ago having swapped my Lexus LS400 for it.

since then I have had many fun and games especially with oil leaks and the fuel system!!

this thread will chart the rolling resto

I have driven 2500 miles since collecting the car as of today

Back to the top
here is yesterdays post from the general forum:
well the weather has been nasty in Edinburgh but not as bad as down south it seems.

Well, this morning I got up early and replaced the fuel filler pipe on the 1990 Clipper - the car has been playing up big time with blockages in the fuel lines etc and no wonder - the old pipe had a 3 " wide hole running from 7-5 on the clock - there was only a small bit of pipe holding the top of the filler to the wing! around this pipe was years of soil and dirt that was several inces thick not suprising that there was cr P getting ito the tank - well I replaced it with a 2nd hand one which I hammerited with 3 coats and then waxoyld when in situ - I will need to get into those arches and blast out all the dirt sometime soon.

I notice that the wing is rusted around fuel filler hole and this will need to be done sometime - I have treated the rust so it won't get any worse but when I do I will replace the filler pipe with a new stainless one from Crazy. - next summers job!

I also noticed that the tyres are in pretty poor shape so off to get new boots all round tomorrow.

tomorrows jobs include:
fitting a new thermostat
flushing the radiator
change the oil and filter
replace the rocker cover gasket
clean out the carb
blow through the fuel lines
adjust the roof which is letting water in on the drivers door side

I may replace the carb but only when I am sure the tank is free from gunk - I may have to have the tank professionally cleansed out - nice!

the car will not be doing any long distances over the winter -

oh - and the wheel bearings will be getting done by a pro next week

busy busy - these Mk1s are money pits!!

Back to the top
well, up early today in the autumn sun - makes a change from yesterday flat on my back in muddy puddles!

today I did the following:

replaced and cleansed all earth cables in the engine bay
replaced the rocker cover gasket with a new one - blue compound especially round the nuts which is wear you seem to get seepage from when the old cork one breaks down.
I gave the carb a clean using 2 cans of carb cleaner - a good dollop down the choke and throttle with the engine running
touched up some bear metan and rust patches with primer

next on the list:

1/ the quailty of the petrol coming through is horrible - the filter is picking up most of the gunk but I think I am going to have to clean out the tank if i am going to have any chance of getting on top of the gunk issue - I am considering a new carb but not a chance until I can be sure no more mud/water.rust is coming up form the tank

2/ new thermostat - not convinced the one in there is working
3/ replace oil filler cap - I have one on order
4/ change oil and filter - I have one of those pumps for taking the oil out of the sump through the dipstick tube
5/new tyres
6/ wheel balancing
7/ sponge strips in the hood mechanism at the door s are causing leaks into the cabin - I will order and fit new ones asap

so sooner rather than later the car will be going in to have the fuel tank sorted and the wheel bearings done

I have booked the car in in late january into Bromsgrove to have the seats re trimmed in vinyl

I will be respraying the car in the spring

Back to the top
done alot of work mate, loads more than i can get motovated for!!!! :lol:

got any pictures?

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.