Skip navigation

1989 GTI Cabby.....

Back to the top

1989 GTI Cabby.....

Hi,
After a couple of ropey MK2 16V's, I now have a this rather nice 1989 GTI cabby….

Its my first MK1, but I'm not completely new to the VW scene, as I still own these bad boys….

1970 Early bay window bus

1958 RHD bug

The cabby will be my daily driver, and it needs a few bits sorting.

The vinyl roof looks like it needs replacing, as it is split slightly over the passenger window, and it doesn't sit properly there either. Also, is the colour of the roof the original colour?

There is also a rumble from the front end at around 45- 53mph when pressing the throttle. Its got me foxed as to what it could be. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

The front brakes need replacing, as the brake peddle judders a bit, so its probably warped discs.

Its had a fair bit of work done to it over the years by the previous owner. Its fully polybushed, lowered on budget coilovers, new heater matrix, re-built gear box, new exhaust etc….

Other plans are to replace the wheels after the winter, replace the number plates as they are a bit pony, get an original gear knob to replace the one on there presently, and generally tidy it up and use it!

I also need a pin for the glove box hinge, and the air vent trims on top of the dash. Are these available?

Any advice would be much appreciated  :D
Cheers
Steve

1989 GTI Cabby

1970 Bus

1958 Bug

Back to the top
hi mate and welcome to the club

right - roof, i have a mohair black outer skin, 2 x headliners and a frame for sale at the mo, please see link:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=109694&highlight=

if you willing to try a bit of then you can have your roof sorted cheap :-)

not sure about rumbling.

Front brakes you could be right

gear nob, glovebox hinge, vent inserts etc pm funk star on here as he will more than likely have those bits you need

Cheers

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Cheers Rich. I think your offer of the hood is a bit early for me. I don't think I can afford to sort it until some point next year. Thanks anyway….

I really need to sort out the juddering brakes/ rumble issue first, as it is pretty hairy braking at over 50mph. Its been suggested that it could be the drive shaft bearings. Not sure if that is an expensive repair or not?

I sorted the gear knob out straight away though. I quick trip up to Heritage resulted in a genuine new golf ball one  :)

1989 GTI Cabby

1970 Bus

1958 Bug

Back to the top
Well its been a while since I posted on here  :redfaced:

Absolutely loved driving the cabby this summer. Sold those nasty alloys and bought some G60 style steels from Heritage, fitted with 195/45 tyres so no more rubbing!

Looking loads better I think.

Flew through the MOT a couple of weeks back. New hood will be fitted next month.

I could do with a drivers seat tilt handle as mine is broken, and some trims to go around the dash top/ windscreen vents as the vinyl is popping up around the vent holes.

1989 GTI Cabby

1970 Bus

1958 Bug

Back to the top
looking good :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Nice looking Cab, really liking red cars at the moment. I am sure I have a photo of your bus on our wall in the study. Bought a couple of prints we liked from VW Festival?

Back to the top
Thanks Richy and Foxter  :)

Yeah somebody sent me a photo from a northern show, which showed a photo of my bus on canvas for sale on one of the trade stands. Never seen it personally.

It was featured in Volksworld Camper & Bus magazine back in August 2008. I've made a few changes since then as its an ongoing project, like the Cabby.

1989 GTI Cabby

1970 Bus

1958 Bug

Back to the top
Cab looking great, aircool looking sweet!  8)

Mrs Choc Rolls Stock!

Back to the top
Looking Good matey :-)

I see you are in Shoreham! Im over in Steyning so just down the road. Nice Bus too, my mates got a Split Screen 59 deluxe thats stunning. Hes over at lancing.

1983 VW Golf Mk1 Gti

2006 VW Caddy

My Build Thread 

Back to the top
Cheers lads. Sadly I had to sell the bug this summer  :(

That wouldn't be Arron Tulley would it? I do know him but haven't seen him for a while. That bus is stunning  8)

1989 GTI Cabby

1970 Bus

1958 Bug

Back to the top
Yeh it is Arron, nice bloke. Have you been up to vw heritage for their monthly meet?

1983 VW Golf Mk1 Gti

2006 VW Caddy

My Build Thread 

Back to the top
Hello mate nice cabby you have there, you should bring to grill n chill next year, and enter it in the wash n wipe ......lol

1988 mk1 golf gti cabby
1991 mk2 golf 1.6 driver

Back to the top

Ross987 said

Yeh it is Arron, nice bloke. Have you been up to vw heritage for their monthly meet?

I haven't been up this year, but used to go quite a lot when they first started doing the meets.

Not been to that many shows this year  :(  Grill n Chill is only the 2nd time this year that I have sat in a field drinking beer surrounded by Volkswagens!

1989 GTI Cabby

1970 Bus

1958 Bug

Back to the top
Me too, only been to a couple myself  :(  I'm rebuilding my engine over the winter so hopefully do more next year. Only had the car a few months.

1983 VW Golf Mk1 Gti

2006 VW Caddy

My Build Thread 

Back to the top
Not too much to report, but just drove the Golf over to Brussels for the weekend. Here is is outside the Vintage Hotel.

Just done over 1000 faultless miles over the last two weeks. Love this car…  :)

1989 GTI Cabby

1970 Bus

1958 Bug

Back to the top
Ah yes … 1989, an excellent year.

Get your vent inserts here

White 1989 Golf GTi Cabriolet - sold!

Back to the top
Agreed  :)

1989 GTI Cabby

1970 Bus

1958 Bug

Back to the top
Nice Cabby :)

Back to the top
Thanks fella  :)

1989 GTI Cabby

1970 Bus

1958 Bug
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.