Skip navigation

1985 Golf cabriolet

Back to the top
So after selling my mk2 last year I have always wanted to get back into something old again. So on Monday I went and picked this up :D. 1.6 GL with 90000 miles and completely standard. It's such a solid car, the only thing that lets it down is that it has had a poor respray at some point in its life. The finish is good but it looks like they rushed it in areas so it has runs and around the trim and window seals its started to peal. Hopefully next year I will treat it to a full respray.

One of the first things to do was get rid of this dodgey immobiliser ! It was so badly fitted, just had to get it out. Also fitted a new gear linkage and gear stick bush kit, sorted the brakes out as they were a bit weak and fitted a new ball joint upfront.

Then the other night went out to get a few photos

My new beast ! by Ginger Schnaps, on Flickr

The golf by Ginger Schnaps, on Flickr

The golf by Ginger Schnaps, on Flickr

A problem has occurred today though today with the Pierburg. Looks like it needs the o-ring replacing :dry:.  I would rather just replace it with a weber carb. So if anyone has one for sale let me know ^_^.

Back to the top
Good photos. Can I have your bumpers please??!! 

If you do any more shots you could submit them for the calendar…. But you'll have to be quick. 

Back to the top
So many owners have issues with their aftermarket alarm systems it's unreal :(

Lovely pics BTW  ;)

Back to the top

Dano said

Good photos. Can I have your bumpers please??!! 

If you do any more shots you could submit them for the calendar…. But you'll have to be quick. 

Never haha  :lol: Don't see many with small bumpers now.

Cheers man, when do they need to be summit by and where do I submit them  :) ?

smudger said

So many owners have issues with their aftermarket alarm systems it's unreal :(

Lovely pics BTW  ;)

It was so poorly fitted! It was a mess and apparently a proper company had fitted it.

Cheers man  :)

Back to the top
Back in the 80-90 period all the VAG dealers were fitting alarms, electric windows, mudflaps. etc. on BONUS schemes. Some of the installations were so bad VAG kept changing suppliers but it wasn't the quality of gear at fault, it was the rush to be a bonus billy!

2 tintops.
3 cabbies, 1 with G60 power, just for fun.
Volvo T5, just for fun.
3.1Ltr V6 Dutton Leggera, just for fun.
Renault 5 GT Turbo, just a money pit!
Several boring cars, just no fun!

Back to the top
Yeah the quality didn't seem too bad but the wiring was shocking haha  :lol:

Back to the top
Small boring update. Been sorting a few more bits out, new sump gasket as that was leaking and flushed the water system because it was full of rubbish. Just trying to get all the little important jobs done before I start messing around with anything else really.

Another thing I found was some more bad wiring :lol:. The drivers door speaker was just twisted together with a bit of tape over it! There was a loose speaker wire on the rear drivers side speaker where it had just been unplugged and left lying around. Then I have a cut wire that's been cut in the boot but I dunno what it is for if anyone can help me out there?

This is the wire I am stuck with. Not sure what it is for as everything seems to be working.

Also the boot light only works when the head lights are on. Surely this isn't right ?

Been toying with the idea of dropping this KR engine in that I have lying around. Might only be next year when it gets done but I think it will be happening.

Last edit: by chrisw1991

Back to the top
Thinking of putting this up for sale. Would anyone be interested ?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.