Skip navigation

1984 Blue Cab GLi - Now in Gibraltar!

Back to the top

1984 Blue Cab GLi - Project BlueMotion Painted - Pics

Well its time i started my build thread, as its all about to commence.

I picked up my 1984 cab GLi just before christmas, with a handsome 290,000kms on the clock  8O

heres the original seller pic:

and a couple more pics once back at home:

Once then the plans begu to formulate, and the collection of parts has begun, including smoked indicator lenses, hottuning coilovers, neuspeed lower strut brace, smoked crystal headlights, m3 style crystal rear lights, and then some more seriosus bits:

very lucky to pick up a beutiful set of polished porshe D90s (thanks to Mogs):

and next to my car:

the next major addition to my parts was getting hold of -matt's old 2.0l 9a engine with a ported polished KR head onit, and only 300 miles on it since it was rebuilt, definitely my lucky day (thanks -Matt):

Finally today i have just secured an audi tt interior (think this may give most problems to fitting) and here is the seller pics:

and

So the build will begin this week in earnest, hope to have the engine swapped in over the next 2 or 3 weeks, once up and running, will get suspension andand other bits such as bushes fitted, as well as upgrading the front brakes and rebuilding rear drums. Still pondering brake solution at the moment, have a bid on some s2 calipers on ebay, but likely to lose out so will probably go VX route.

once all up and running properly, it will be resprayed (original colour), photos dont show flat paint on other side of the car. and then the interior will be fitted, so will be a busy few weeks.

I'll post some more updates once engine has been fitted with pics.

The most incredible thing is - NO Rust  :D(must be the tough life it had in south of france)

Last edit: by GibGTi

Back to the top
Apologies for spelling, difficult when using a phone.

Back to the top
That's my old engine! It certainly gets about (I sold it to Matt)

Car looks nice, good luck

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

That's my old engine! It certainly gets about (I sold it to Matt)

Car looks nice, good luck

:lol: I will definitely be doing more than 300 miles in though :wink:  going to be driving it down to Gibraltar at the end of the summer (1500 miles in 3/4 days).

Back to the top
Quick update:

The old engine/box is now out  :D, so this week will be cleaning up the engine bay, and changing driveshafts for 100mm items.

Pics will follow later today or tomorrow.

Also got my eye on some audi S2 calipers for a 280mm brake upgrade, so hopefully should have the parts for that sorted this week.

Back to the top
As promised some pics, sorry a little late, but gave me opportunity to clean back surface grims, and have to say very pleased with what is underneath:

and

Back to the top
Excellent news, new 100mm driveshafts arrived this morning:

so new engine should be going in this week, so will get some pics up at the weekend (all going well  :pray: )

Back to the top
Driveshafts now match new struts and engine block  :D

Back to the top
Some major progress has been made in the last week, with the new block and gearbox now in, and suspension, polybushes,  and uprated servo and master cylinder to follow shortly.

However a couple of things to be sorted before it can be fired up, wiring to sorted, and some new rear clamps needed on rear beam, just waiting for these to be delivered.

I have also purchased the TSR gear Linkage, as tghe previous items were knackered.

Just need to change brake fluid resevoir as the old one is pretty minging and doesn't look nice, with the shiny lump etc

Some photos will follow later today. Hopefully should be out on road for test drive by the end of the week.

Back to the top
Pics as promised

engine in:

and a pic showing new bushes, and lower strut fitted:

Back to the top
Nice project you got going on mate. I'll keep an eye on this :)

Back to the top
Thanks, its makeing some good progress at the moment.

Heres a pic of another rejuventaed part - Brake Servo:

Back to the top
Looking a good project keep it up with more pictures,the Audi TT seats are they a easy fit for the front seats and
do the rears need any cutting?

Back to the top

urbanracer said

Looking a good project keep it up with more pictures,the Audi TT seats are they a easy fit for the front seats and
do the rears need any cutting?

Currently we have recaro bases to fit the front seats, so a straigh tforward fit, however they do sit a little high.

We are looking to use the original bases, a bit more research into this is needed, as this will probably be done during july/august once the respray has been finished.

The rear came with a custom frame and so will go straight in.

Will put up some pics of this closer to the time, as they are currently stored away.

Back to the top
We there has been some more progress, the coilovers have been fitted, however the original wheels were catching on the struts, so had to put on my porshe wheels  :D , here a couple of pics.

There has been a little delay getting engine up and running, we have decided to create a new loom to get the ISV running properly, also throttle cable bush had disentegrated, so had to get a replacement. hopefully these little probs should be sorted over next couple of weeks:

as you can see the front wing, had been badly painted so a respray will be happening late july time, though in orgiginal colour, at this point the arch spats will be gone, and the waistline trim replace with a narrow chrome version.

Back to the top
looking good mate !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Apologies for not posting an update for so long.

But here is a round up, she will be up and running at the end of next week  :D

• Engine Fitted
    Wiring loom (absolute nightmare, made a new one from scratch - unfortunately some wires were worn)
    all new bushes fitted
    Coilovers fitted
    Porshe wheels
    EBC discs and pads fitted
    customer exhaust made as previous one rubbed on the floor once lowered 8O  so now nicely tucked up.[/list:u]

Anyway due to the bad weather no pics available, but will putting some up shortly.

All i need to do now is fit the TT interior, respray the car (oribnal colour) and fit all the little accessories such as crystal lights etc. So should be all ready for the new year. Bit longer than planned, but will be top notch once finished.

Back to the top
Well had a few camera issues so only got a couple of pics, not much to see really apart from wheels now fitted, the coilovers are currently on highest setting untill arches have been rolled. Should be going to bodyshop in 4-6 weeks, once a time slot available.

unfortunately nothing of under the bonnet.

and

Towbar will be removed, as will side trim to be replaced with narrow style chrome strips. The arches are also coming off. a couple of small dents to be sorted as well, before going into paint.

And a last minute change of plan means the following colour will be applied (also apologies to theowner of the photo i copied of google images):

Anway i'll get some pics of under the hood next week, and get them up, as they look spot on, also have a video of it running which sounds awesome, it pulls like a train.

Back to the top
is that Miami Blue ?

Such a nice colour !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
yep Miami Blue, with chrome accents looks awesome, was going to stay original, but keep seeing these and think its would be so much better. Also not seen many Miami cabs about.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.