Skip navigation

1983 White Gti Cabriolet

Back to the top

1983 White Gti Cabriolet

Hi all thought I would share with your my progress to date on the project to date.

When I first got sight of the poor thing she was in a lock up in damp conditions and had started to be prepped for renovation…4 years previously. All her external trim was inside the car roof was completely shot and wheel arches being eaten alive thanks to the karman body kit and not care.
Why take her on??? Believe it or not she has a mass of paperwork and an original mileage of just over 73k miles.

In the beginning

Got her home and started to get to grips with the mess.

Clean Up Stage 1 - Exterior

Stage 1 Clean up - Interior

Then to start changing out all the tired old bits like the suspension, wishbones, all bushes including the antiroll bar bushes. The suspension is now in and the brake calipers, discs and pads are about to be fitted.

The roof frame was also not on the car so that took some wrestling with to get that back on, fully WD40'ed and running smoothly.

Roof Refit

I will be fitting the new front wings and replacing the passenger side door too next and then th next step is preparation for the wheel arches to be welded and then into the bodyshop oh and the soundproofing will be done this week too. Boot is done just the rest of the doors etc.

The BBS 15" RAs have arrived along with the new black leather door cards with white stitching and Im waiting for the new brick leather interior to arrive in about 2 weeks time.

Coming along nicely!

Back to the top

1983 White Gti Cabriolet...cont'd

So having now got all suspension and brakes sorted and interior well on its way I needed to get the car out front to drop the fonr wings on (temporarily) and replace the passenger side door.
The original 13" rims are back on temporary just to move the car around as the new BBS have yet to have tyres fitted.

First time outside

Back to the top
Hi All
Things have moved a monster amount since I last posted on here so here is the latest update.

http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/stevene12000/library/

Hope you like where its going. Just the roof, exhaust system and windscreen left to do really. Then Im into perfecting what is the base motor.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.